Last time my boyfriend had a birthday party I offered to make him a deliciously decadent cake. I wanted to go all out to help him celebrate. But I was politely rebuffed and instead he insisted I make my famous caramel slice. I was a bit taken aback since there is nothing overly festive or elegant about caramel slice, but damn it tastes good. So in the end I made a huge batch, piled the squares high on a platter and pierced them with sparklers!
- 250g packet Butternut Snap biscuits (or a sweet biscuit of your choice)
- 120g butter
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 400g can sweetened condensed milk
- 125g butter
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 250g dark chocolate buttons
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Line a 30cm x 20cm rectangle tin with baking paper.
- Crush the biscuits, either by putting them in a plastic bag and pommeling them with a rolling pin or in the food processor.
- Melt the 120g of butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Mix together the crushed biscuits, coconut and melted butter and press into the tin, making sure it is even. Chill in the fridge to set whilst you make the caramel.
- Mix together the condensed milk, butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir for 15 minutes until the mixture becomes a darker golden colour and thick. Do not leave this unattended!
- Let the caramel cool slightly before pouring into the tin over your set biscuit base. Return to the fridge.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter in microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat (watch like a hawk so that the chocolate doesn’t burn!).
- Pour over the caramel and allow to set in the fridge for a few hours before cutting into squares.
This slice is best stored in an air tight container in the fridge. It can last up to a week but I doubt it will last that long!
Leave a comment
Isn’t this painting of biscuits by Caitlin Shearer divine? I might have to stalk her etsy store and purchase myself one so I can stare at it when I have [...]
Welcome to the first competition on Love Swah! Woo! Today I am giving away 3 copies of my travel + dessert zines of your choice! And if you aren’t the [...]
I used a Go Pro for the first time during my fantastic trip to Tasmania and here is the result! It’s a great little video that sums up the gorgeous [...]
- Celebrating Good Friday with steak - posted on 18/04/2014 20:19:31
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17
- My walk to work this morning was pretty amazing. Loving these sunny, crisp mornings - posted on 17/04/2014 18:24:00