Last time my boyfriend had a birthday party I offered to make him a deliciously decadent cake. I wanted to go all out to help him celebrate. But I was politely rebuffed and instead he insisted I make my famous caramel slice. I was a bit taken aback since there is nothing overly festive or elegant about caramel slice, but damn it tastes good. So in the end I made a huge batch, piled the squares high on a platter and pierced them with sparklers!
- 250g packet Butternut Snap biscuits (or a sweet biscuit of your choice)
- 120g butter
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 400g can sweetened condensed milk
- 125g butter
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 250g dark chocolate buttons
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Line a 30cm x 20cm rectangle tin with baking paper.
- Crush the biscuits, either by putting them in a plastic bag and pommeling them with a rolling pin or in the food processor.
- Melt the 120g of butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Mix together the crushed biscuits, coconut and melted butter and press into the tin, making sure it is even. Chill in the fridge to set whilst you make the caramel.
- Mix together the condensed milk, butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir for 15 minutes until the mixture becomes a darker golden colour and thick. Do not leave this unattended!
- Let the caramel cool slightly before pouring into the tin over your set biscuit base. Return to the fridge.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter in microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat (watch like a hawk so that the chocolate doesn’t burn!).
- Pour over the caramel and allow to set in the fridge for a few hours before cutting into squares.
This slice is best stored in an air tight container in the fridge. It can last up to a week but I doubt it will last that long!
Leave a comment
Do you like bagels, beers and beats? Who doesn’t?! Brooklyn Boy Bagels are teaming up with Helm Bar to bring a little slice of New York to Darling Harbour. Your ticket guarantees you [...]
I had an intense pancake craving the other weekend, but had no one to enjoy them with and didn’t want stacks of leftovers. So I thought I’d improvise a single [...]
Hey guys! I am back now from an amazing and exhausting long weekend in Adelaide for the Eat Drink Blog Conference. I am yet to go through my photos on [...]
- Meat, booze and cinema. I'm in heaven. @ Golden Age Cinema & Bar http://t.co/lFLR6G3xqO - posted on 07/03/2014 18:30:40
- Balmain I love you (not your buses though) http://t.co/vtpTOMfRtD - posted on 06/03/2014 20:12:23
- I love presents! Thank you KitchenAid, I can't wait to whip up some cookies on the weekend… http://t.co/SlUfBgSrru - posted on 06/03/2014 11:42:46