This classic vanilla cupcake is a staple in my cupcake repertoire. Feel free to tint the icing different colours to suit the client (or your mood!)
- 230g butter, softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 230g butter, softened
- 6-8 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer until smooth in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the 2 flours and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Do not overmix!
- Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full with mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Place the softened butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add in 4 cups of sugar, then the milk and vanilla (adding gradually prevents the icing from going grainy).
- Beat for around 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar until it is thick enough to ice the cupcakes (you may not need all the sugar).
- Add a few drops of food colouring or divide the mixture into a few bowls and colour each one differently.
- Spoon the mixture into an icing bag with a nozzle attached and ice the cupcakes.
Leave a comment
I was recently invited by Rachel (aka CreamyMiddles) to accompany her on an all expenses paid weekend away in Canberra – yes please! This is all part of a great [...]
My nickname for these pancakes is “Faileo Pancakes”. Why? Because I started off with a paleo pancake recipe and then covered it in caramel. Just because. And it’s DELICIOUS. Plus [...]
A while ago I blogged about my 2 little succulents planted in Wedgwood tea tins and some succulent-related inspiration. Well this love for succulents has seemed to have turned into [...]
- Meat, booze and cinema. I'm in heaven. @ Golden Age Cinema & Bar http://t.co/lFLR6G3xqO - posted on 07/03/2014 18:30:40
- Balmain I love you (not your buses though) http://t.co/vtpTOMfRtD - posted on 06/03/2014 20:12:23
- I love presents! Thank you KitchenAid, I can't wait to whip up some cookies on the weekend… http://t.co/SlUfBgSrru - posted on 06/03/2014 11:42:46