ANZAC Day falls on the 25th April and is celebrated by both Australia and New Zealand to honour members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
A long standing tradition is to bake ANZAC biscuits, baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. I have been using this method for years to make these biscuits from a recipe scrawled in my childhood handwriting. Enjoy!
- 125g butter
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Melt together the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and coconut.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water, add to saucepan.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients.
- Spoon onto baking paper lined trays (I spoon approx 1 tablespoon per biscuit).
- Bake in the oven for around 15 mins or until lightly golden brown.
These biscuits are so moreish they won’t be around for long! (Warning – the batter tastes almost as good as the finished product)
Leave a comment
It was my birthday last week and I have been celebrating ever since! Amazing family, friends, food and (too many) drinks really made this a special one. And I love [...]
I love tea! I can’t start the day without a strong cup of English Breakfast, followed by an afternoon pick-me-up of Earl Grey and finishing the day with a cup [...]
For my international readers, the 26th of January is Australia Day – a day where we get to take the day off work and have a BBQ, or go to [...]
- I don't care what cheese purists say, Kraft Singles are amazing. - posted on 16/04/2014 19:47:25
- Comic Sans gets a minimalist makeover. Hmmm.... http://t.co/dzNGlB5nQr - posted on 15/04/2014 12:10:56
- I've teamed up with @VitasoyAus to bring you a delicious and decadent Choc & Raspberry Vegan Mousse! #spillthebeans http://t.co/8gMwr0SFHT - posted on 15/04/2014 11:50:43