ANZAC Day falls on the 25th April and is celebrated by both Australia and New Zealand to honour members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
A long standing tradition is to bake ANZAC biscuits, baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. I have been using this method for years to make these biscuits from a recipe scrawled in my childhood handwriting. Enjoy!
- 125g butter
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Melt together the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and coconut.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water, add to saucepan.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients.
- Spoon onto baking paper lined trays (I spoon approx 1 tablespoon per biscuit).
- Bake in the oven for around 15 mins or until lightly golden brown.
These biscuits are so moreish they won’t be around for long! (Warning – the batter tastes almost as good as the finished product)
Leave a comment
Happy Thanksgiving to all my North American readers! I would love to experience an authentic Thanksgiving meal in the States some day – can you believe I have never even [...]
I’ve been seeing some amazing travel videos springing up on Vimeo lately and have been bookmarking each to share them with you. They sure are giving me itchy feet to [...]
This month’s theme for the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop was Nuts About Sweets – a seemingly easy theme until you get overwhelmed by the amount of options available! I love [...]
- My first time to Addison Road Markets and I think I died and went to heaven. I ate amazing food,… http://t.co/KsAbtDjnYA - posted on 09/03/2014 13:16:02
- Me and Mrs Nguyen and my expertly rolled rice paper roll (cough cough) @ Fairfield Museum and Gallery http://t.co/DtcXBoREnu - posted on 08/03/2014 14:24:59
- Making Vietnamese rice paper rolls with a pro! @ Fairfield Museum and Gallery http://t.co/wTkwdL5ZZy - posted on 08/03/2014 14:19:00