ANZAC Day falls on the 25th April and is celebrated by both Australia and New Zealand to honour members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
A long standing tradition is to bake ANZAC biscuits, baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. I have been using this method for years to make these biscuits from a recipe scrawled in my childhood handwriting. Enjoy!
- 125g butter
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Melt together the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and coconut.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water, add to saucepan.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients.
- Spoon onto baking paper lined trays (I spoon approx 1 tablespoon per biscuit).
- Bake in the oven for around 15 mins or until lightly golden brown.
These biscuits are so moreish they won’t be around for long! (Warning – the batter tastes almost as good as the finished product)
Leave a comment
After weeks and weeks of waking up early on Saturday mornings, dashing from inspection to inspection in the rain, filling in countless application forms and running ourselves ragged, my friend [...]
Image source When doing your research on a country’s accommodation, sightseeing and transport don’t forget to research an important thing – etiquette. I can’t emphasise enough the importance of researching [...]
To be perfectly honest this fudge is so easy to make it’s almost embarrassing! If I need to make a treat that is super easy and delicious this recipe is [...]
It was a walk down memory lane on Saturday 17th March for a one-off special event as part of March into Merivale. Held at Ms G’s, chefs Dan Hong and Jowett [...]
I know overbooking happens on flights a LOT. Up until now I have never had to deal with it. I booked and paid for my Sydney – Tokyo (direct) flight [...]