ANZAC Day falls on the 25th April and is celebrated by both Australia and New Zealand to honour members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps who fought in Gallipoli during World War I.
A long standing tradition is to bake ANZAC biscuits, baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. I have been using this method for years to make these biscuits from a recipe scrawled in my childhood handwriting. Enjoy!
- 125g butter
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- ¼ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Melt together the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and coconut.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water, add to saucepan.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients.
- Spoon onto baking paper lined trays (I spoon approx 1 tablespoon per biscuit).
- Bake in the oven for around 15 mins or until lightly golden brown.
These biscuits are so moreish they won’t be around for long! (Warning – the batter tastes almost as good as the finished product)
Leave a comment
There is an emerging trend with brands including Pantone, Hello Kitty and Ladurée beginning to branch out into different areas. ♥ Pantone Makeup Pantone is a serial repeat offender when it [...]
I just realised I never showed you pictures of the cupcakes I made for a dear friend’s engagement party. I made in excess of 100 cupcakes over a few days and for [...]
This Sunday is Mother’s Day, a time to celebrate how amazing our mums are and appreciate all they have done for us. Unfortunately my mum is swanning around Europe (half [...]
After lusting over Audrey Kawasaki’s work for years and seeing her exhibition back in 2010, I finally purchased my first print last night! Where I Rest is still availale to [...]
I love high tea and have blogged about it here and here. The idea of spending an afternoon with your girlfriends sampling an array of sandwiches, scones and pastries whilst [...]