I love this gingerbread recipe and bake it regularly. It’s not dry like most gingerbread I have tried and is incredibly moreish. Don’t be afraid to steer away from the traditional gingerbread men shape and experiment with different cookie cutters. I love these jigsaw piece cutters I recently purchased!
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- ⅓ cup self raising flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Food colouring of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar and golden syrup until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- In a large bowl sift the flours, ginger and bicarb, then add the wet mixture in. Mix until just combined.
- Flour your bench and knead the dough into a ball. Don’t overwork the dough or it will toughen.
- Lay a piece of baking paper on a chopping board and roll the dough until it is 5mm thick. Refrigerate the dough for 15 mins.
- Once the dough has chilled, cut out shapes using any cutters you like. Press any remaining dough together, re-roll and continue cutting out shapes.
- Bake the gingerbread on oven trays for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow the gingerbread to cool before icing.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually add the lemon juice and icing sugar and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add food colouring into bowl until desired colour is achieved (alternatively divide the icing into several bowls if you want multiple colours).
- Smooth icing onto cookies using a teaspoon or spoon icing into a piping bag for more detailed decorating.
Leave a comment
I am always very happy when 2 of my great loves combine, and design and cooking are a match made in heaven when Pantone is involved! I am sure you [...]
I love lists! My room is overflowing with notebooks filled with handwritten lists. There is nothing more satisfying then crossing something off your list which has led me to writing [...]
Take some time out to relax like I did here in Norway, it can make a world of difference on your trip As wonderful as it is to cram in [...]
- Goddamn, @bananaparty just cooked cooksuck and I bone marrow, garlic bread and a pleb salad. I'm… http://t.co/vfRCOJ7DCj - posted on 19/04/2014 16:13:35
- Celebrating Good Friday with steak - posted on 18/04/2014 20:19:31
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17