These lemon cupcakes are the perfect balance between sweet and sour and are thoroughly addictive! This photo is from a cupcake course I ran for an engagement party. My cupcake is the one with the little pink flower, the rest were decorated by my students!
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons (I like mine quite intensely lemony, you can use the zest of just 1 if you wish)
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 225g butter, softened
- 4-5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 5 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft. Gradually add the sugar and grated lemon zest and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and fill approximately ¾ full. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool before you ice them.
- Cream the butter in a bowl with an electric beater until very soft. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat into the butter, along with the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to soften the icing, to a spreadable consistency (you might not need all the icing sugar)
- When the cupcakes are cool, spoon the mixture into an icing bag with a nozzle attached and ice the cupcakes.
Leave a comment
Today is International Women’s Day, a day to celebrate the respect, appreciation and love towards women (although shouldn’t that be every day?!) and honour the struggles of those who have fought [...]
I woke up early on Saturday morning with a mixture of excitement and stress. It was the day of the Sydney Food Bloggers Xmas Picnic – hooray for catching up [...]
I think Easter has to be one of my favourite holidays – an excuse to eat lots of chocolate, laze about the house (as it always seems to rain) and [...]
- Celebrating Good Friday with steak - posted on 18/04/2014 20:19:31
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17
- My walk to work this morning was pretty amazing. Loving these sunny, crisp mornings - posted on 17/04/2014 18:24:00