These lemon cupcakes are the perfect balance between sweet and sour and are thoroughly addictive! This photo is from a cupcake course I ran for an engagement party. My cupcake is the one with the little pink flower, the rest were decorated by my students!
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons (I like mine quite intensely lemony, you can use the zest of just 1 if you wish)
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 225g butter, softened
- 4-5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 5 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft. Gradually add the sugar and grated lemon zest and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and fill approximately ¾ full. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool before you ice them.
- Cream the butter in a bowl with an electric beater until very soft. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat into the butter, along with the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to soften the icing, to a spreadable consistency (you might not need all the icing sugar)
- When the cupcakes are cool, spoon the mixture into an icing bag with a nozzle attached and ice the cupcakes.
Leave a comment
I just realised I never showed you pictures of the cupcakes I made for a dear friend’s engagement party. I made in excess of 100 cupcakes over a few days and for [...]
Hi guys, I am off to Melbourne with the boy for a long weekend hooray! The holiday will be filled with lots of eating, shopping and photo taking. This time [...]
After lusting over Audrey Kawasaki’s work for years and seeing her exhibition back in 2010, I finally purchased my first print last night! Where I Rest is still availale to [...]
- Hooray I've found super cheap and cheerful Vietnamese food in Balmain! I feel I'll be coming here a… http://t.co/zWP9fcFTar - posted on 22/04/2014 19:18:48
- The final instalment from my amazing @tasmania trip is now live, feat Swansea & Richmond. Enjoy! #discovertasmania http://t.co/ft1bohnBLh - posted on 22/04/2014 16:33:50
- Trying to decide where to travel this year. Have narrowed it down to Morocco, Base Camp, Malaysia, NY, China, Hawaii, Paris & Mexico. Hmmm.. - posted on 21/04/2014 21:41:06