New website for Design Centre Enmore

Hey guys
I am currently completing my graphic design studies at Design Centre Enmore (the best place to study graphic design in Sydney, in my opinion). Our year was asked to design a new website for the graphic design department. They were after a conceptual design that was more than just the standard linear web design with a navigation containing “about” “gallery” and “application”. I wanted something fun and interactive, and decided to focus on the student’s work. I devised a grid containing duo tone buttons of samples of our work, with some revealing letters to spell out words and others revealing the student’s full work.

And guess what… my site won! It is now the official website of Design Centre Enmore and I am very chuffed. Check it out http://www.dcegraphicdesign.org/.

Here are some screenshots from the live site:

The user was initially met with a grid of green duotone rollover boxes featuring samples of students work.

Once the user begins mousing around the grid, they start to reveal letters in some places and full colour versions of the work in others.

After exploring the site the user discovers the text “Graphic Design @ DCE”

The remaining thumbnails can be clicked on and a full version of the student’s work opens up in a lightbox. There are also external links to our social media profiles such as Twitter and Facebook, and important documents such as the application form included in the thumbnails.

I’ve had really positive feedback from designers and non-designers alike saying they had a lot of fun interacting with the site. I had a lot of fun making it!

Comments

1. Passing through says

I think its a shame that the work that gets covered isn’t viewable in the shadowboxes. What if we want to see those artworks in full size and colour also?

• Swah says

Hi anonymous,
      Thanks for your feedback – I wanted to include a broad range of work from students, however the strongest works were viewable in the lightbox in full size and colour.

2. aallecks says

congratulations swaabie :D
    Thats such a great honour to have been chosen for the website. You put alot of effort into it & it shows!
    What was it that you liked so much about the course in enmore? Have you heard anything about the “raffles” graphic design training centre in north sydney?
    Congrats again woman!! x

• Swah says

Thanks Alex! It was indeed such a great honour :)
      There are several reasons why I chose to study at Enmore.
      a) Highly regarding in the industry – Enmore is widely considered to be the best place to study graphic design in Sydney and apparently having it on your resume as your place of study can often help in securing interviews.
      b) Practical learning – I did my bachelors degree at university in Digital Media and spent most of the time doing theory and only a little bit of practical stuff. I learned more practical skills in my first year at Enmore than my 3 year degree.
      c) Cost – TAFE is extremely cheap compared to uni and private colleges.

I don’t personally know much about Raffles but I generally have found that private colleges are a huge waste of money and time. Colleges such as Raffles and CATC are not looked on favourably in the industry (in fact I have heard design professionals openly mocking CATC). Basically if you have many thousands of dollars spare the private collages will take you, whilst Enmore only takes around 90 students each year in graphic design from over 500 that apply.

x

3. Viraj says

Hi Swah,

Would you know if Design Centre Enmore accomodates International Students for their courses. i have been in the animation industry for couple of years now and wish to futher hone my skills and after reading up credentials like your and course curriculum i am very keen to pursue a course in Design Centre Enmore institute.

your response would be much appreciated

Regards
    Viraj Sapaliga
    Bombay, India

• Swah says

Hi Viraj,

Yes Design Centre Enmore definitely accommodates international students in their courses. Please go to the TAFE website for more information or give them a call on +61 2 9394 5700.

Good luck with your studies!