Ah the humble choc chip cookie. So popular, yet often done so badly. This recipe I use is the best one I have found – the high ratio of brown sugar ensures the cookies are chewy in the middle and crunchy on the outside.
But beware these cookies like to spread when they bake! The first time I made it everything morphed into 1 UBER COOKIE which was wonderful and all, but not a great idea for portion control. To avoid uber-cookie problems, I suggest spooning 5 tablespoon size balls onto each baking sheet.
- 140g butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 250g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Cream the butter and sugars for at least 5 minutes until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add choc chips, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Beat on low speed until just combined (don’t overwork the mixture or it can become tough).
- Dollop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto lined baking trays. I usually put 5 cookies on each of my 4 trays as these babies spread.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, around 12-14 minutes.
Leave a comment
I wanted to make a festive cupcake to celebrate Easter that combined Easter eggs and my current craving for chocolate and peanut butter. I settled on a chocolate cupcake with [...]
Popsicle mania seems to have swept the internet recently and I’ve seen all sorts of wonderful concoctions being whipped up. I was speaking with the lovely Erika recently over a cocktail (or [...]
Hey guys! I got a huge response from readers from a new gluten and dairy-free Nutella recipe I shared on Instagram and Facebook (recipe up next week) and it got [...]
- Treated myself to Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook today. Can't wait to try out all these mouth… http://t.co/8X6qi5epxd - posted on 09/03/2014 20:45:33
- My first time to Addison Road Markets and I think I died and went to heaven. I ate amazing food,… http://t.co/KsAbtDjnYA - posted on 09/03/2014 13:16:02
- Me and Mrs Nguyen and my expertly rolled rice paper roll (cough cough) @ Fairfield Museum and Gallery http://t.co/DtcXBoREnu - posted on 08/03/2014 14:24:59