Ah the humble choc chip cookie. So popular, yet often done so badly. This recipe I use is the best one I have found – the high ratio of brown sugar ensures the cookies are chewy in the middle and crunchy on the outside.
But beware these cookies like to spread when they bake! The first time I made it everything morphed into 1 UBER COOKIE which was wonderful and all, but not a great idea for portion control. To avoid uber-cookie problems, I suggest spooning 5 tablespoon size balls onto each baking sheet.
- 140g butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 250g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Cream the butter and sugars for at least 5 minutes until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add choc chips, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Beat on low speed until just combined (don’t overwork the mixture or it can become tough).
- Dollop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto lined baking trays. I usually put 5 cookies on each of my 4 trays as these babies spread.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, around 12-14 minutes.
Leave a comment
I’ve been seeing some amazing travel videos springing up on Vimeo lately and have been bookmarking each to share them with you. They sure are giving me itchy feet to [...]
To be perfectly honest this fudge is so easy to make it’s almost embarrassing! If I need to make a treat that is super easy and delicious this recipe is [...]
I love tea! I can’t start the day without a strong cup of English Breakfast, followed by an afternoon pick-me-up of Earl Grey and finishing the day with a cup [...]
I recently discovered Pamukkale, Turkey through a friend’s photos on Instagram. It came as no surprise to me that Pamukkale translated as “cotton castle” – it looks like these hot springs [...]
Hi guys, Sorry things have been quiet in Swah-land. This week after 3 doctors visits, blood tests and x-rays it turns out I have pneumonia, and quite a rare type for [...]