I have made these cookies 3 times in the past 2 weeks due to popular demand! In fact a guy in my class declared them “the best cookie I have ever eaten” (thanks Jason!) This recipe makes 24 cookies (12 filled cookies in total) and my god are they decadently amazing.
- 125g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1½ tsp bicarb
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ cup raw sugar (to roll cookies in)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 4 tbsps water
- ⅔ cup cream
- 175g butter (at room temperature)
- 1½ tsps salt (I like to use sea salt)
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- Preheat oven 180°C. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and golden syrup and mix well.
- Sift in flour, bicarb and spices. Mix until combined.
- Roll mixture into small balls and roll in raw sugar.
- Place balls on baking sheet and flatten slightly (I fit 12 per baking sheet).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Dissolve the sugar into the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and let it bubble away over a medium heat.
- The mixture should turn a golden caramel colour after around 5 minutes. DON’T stir the caramel mixture – the sugar will crystallize.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired colour, take it off the heat and add the salt and cream. Stir furiously as the caramel will want to harden quickly.
- Pop the caramel cream mixture in a small bowl and put it in the fridge to help cool down quickly.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and icing sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the cooled caramel cream mixture and continue beating until well combined.
- Dollop a generous amount of the buttercream (about 1 tablespoon) on half of the cooled cookies and sandwich the cookies together with the remaining ones.
Leave a comment
Copenhagen, Denmark There are many things to take care of before you leave for a trip, some are obvious and some maybe not so much. Month(s) before you leave: ♥ [...]
Hi everyone and welcome to the blog Love Swah. What is Love Swah, I hear you ask? It is a blog dedicated to life’s pleasures- travelling to far away places, [...]
Is there anything better in life than salted caramel? Possibly kittens but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. My love for salted caramel is [...]
- I'm on a boat! Work Christmas party :) @ Sydney Harbour http://t.co/fNaXUmUcbm - posted on 12/12/2013 14:04:27
- Happy (early) birthday to me! @ Vacanza In The Hills http://t.co/u7g861e0uI - posted on 11/12/2013 20:47:44
- I am getting festive this Christmas with Candy Cane Cupcakes wearing reindeer antlers! http://t.co/sjZWB3aFcB - posted on 11/12/2013 15:15:25