I have made these cookies 3 times in the past 2 weeks due to popular demand! In fact a guy in my class declared them “the best cookie I have ever eaten” (thanks Jason!) This recipe makes 24 cookies (12 filled cookies in total) and my god are they decadently amazing.
- 125g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1½ tsp bicarb
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ cup raw sugar (to roll cookies in)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 4 tbsps water
- ⅔ cup cream
- 175g butter (at room temperature)
- 1½ tsps salt (I like to use sea salt)
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- Preheat oven 180°C. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and golden syrup and mix well.
- Sift in flour, bicarb and spices. Mix until combined.
- Roll mixture into small balls and roll in raw sugar.
- Place balls on baking sheet and flatten slightly (I fit 12 per baking sheet).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Dissolve the sugar into the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and let it bubble away over a medium heat.
- The mixture should turn a golden caramel colour after around 5 minutes. DON’T stir the caramel mixture – the sugar will crystallize.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired colour, take it off the heat and add the salt and cream. Stir furiously as the caramel will want to harden quickly.
- Pop the caramel cream mixture in a small bowl and put it in the fridge to help cool down quickly.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and icing sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the cooled caramel cream mixture and continue beating until well combined.
- Dollop a generous amount of the buttercream (about 1 tablespoon) on half of the cooled cookies and sandwich the cookies together with the remaining ones.
Leave a comment
What a task I had… to try every cupcake shop I stumbled upon in America (and there are LOTS of them) on my quest to find the best cupcake in [...]
My addiction to Instagram is intensifying and I am constantly on the hunt for new IG users to follow for inspiration or just a little amusement. Here are my current [...]
After returning from a wonderful holiday in Vietnam I had a new found appreciation for tropical fruits. I was constantly snacking on a variety of fresh pineapple, dragon fruit and lychees [...]
- Treated myself to Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook today. Can't wait to try out all these mouth… http://t.co/8X6qi5epxd - posted on 09/03/2014 20:45:33
- My first time to Addison Road Markets and I think I died and went to heaven. I ate amazing food,… http://t.co/KsAbtDjnYA - posted on 09/03/2014 13:16:02
- Me and Mrs Nguyen and my expertly rolled rice paper roll (cough cough) @ Fairfield Museum and Gallery http://t.co/DtcXBoREnu - posted on 08/03/2014 14:24:59