I’ve tried many a bad chocolate cupcake in my life and went on a sort of quest to perfect my own chocolate cupcake recipe. I think these chocolate cupcakes come pretty close to perfection – decadently dark and rich and not too sweet.
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 250ml boiling water
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1⅔ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 285g dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- ½ cup water
- 175g butter
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 x 12 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Stir the cocoa powder, coffee and brown sugar in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Whisk to mix and set aside.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy and then add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour, bicarb and baking powder. Pour in the cocoa/coffee mixture and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and fill approximately ¾ full (this recipe should make around 18 cupcakes)
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cupcakes slightly spring back when touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly in their tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Melt the chopped chocolate with the water in short bursts in the microwave, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk them into the chocolate.
- Whisk in sifted icing sugar until completely combined and the ganache is smooth. If it starts to go grainy keep whisking – it will come good!
- Cool until spreadable, whisking occasionally. Pop in the fridge to speed up this process.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
Leave a comment
My beloved mint green encased iPhone has been possessed lately. It’s been ringing random people from my contacts list at all times of the day and night (including multiple calls [...]
Like a lot of graphic designers, I too have fallen under the spell of letterpress. Not only are letterpressed products so beautiful, elegant and timeless, but I just love the [...]
This is the last (but certainly not least) addition to my Microwave Mug Cake series – banana! First we had dark chocolate, then salted caramel, followed by S’mores. I like to refer to [...]
- I'm on a boat! Work Christmas party :) @ Sydney Harbour http://t.co/fNaXUmUcbm - posted on 12/12/2013 14:04:27
- Happy (early) birthday to me! @ Vacanza In The Hills http://t.co/u7g861e0uI - posted on 11/12/2013 20:47:44
- I am getting festive this Christmas with Candy Cane Cupcakes wearing reindeer antlers! http://t.co/sjZWB3aFcB - posted on 11/12/2013 15:15:25