I’ve tried many a bad chocolate cupcake in my life and went on a sort of quest to perfect my own chocolate cupcake recipe. I think these chocolate cupcakes come pretty close to perfection – decadently dark and rich and not too sweet.
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 250ml boiling water
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1⅔ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 285g dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- ½ cup water
- 175g butter
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 x 12 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Stir the cocoa powder, coffee and brown sugar in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Whisk to mix and set aside.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy and then add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour, bicarb and baking powder. Pour in the cocoa/coffee mixture and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and fill approximately ¾ full (this recipe should make around 18 cupcakes)
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cupcakes slightly spring back when touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly in their tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Melt the chopped chocolate with the water in short bursts in the microwave, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk them into the chocolate.
- Whisk in sifted icing sugar until completely combined and the ganache is smooth. If it starts to go grainy keep whisking – it will come good!
- Cool until spreadable, whisking occasionally. Pop in the fridge to speed up this process.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
Leave a comment
I recently stumbled across this series of gorgeous and quirky food art by German art director Sarah Illenberger. I would love to hang any of these on my wall. Hello [...]
Here is a stupid tourist pointing to where she SHOULD be on the map and where she actually is. It is of course the maps fault. Not the 6 champagnes [...]
I have recently fallen head over heels for Choupette Lagerfeld, Karl Lagerfeld’s insanely pampered pussy cat. Harpers Bazaar recently did an interview with Karl which gave us an insight into the [...]
- Treated myself to Ottolenghi's Jerusalem cookbook today. Can't wait to try out all these mouth… http://t.co/8X6qi5epxd - posted on 09/03/2014 20:45:33
- My first time to Addison Road Markets and I think I died and went to heaven. I ate amazing food,… http://t.co/KsAbtDjnYA - posted on 09/03/2014 13:16:02
- Me and Mrs Nguyen and my expertly rolled rice paper roll (cough cough) @ Fairfield Museum and Gallery http://t.co/DtcXBoREnu - posted on 08/03/2014 14:24:59