I’ve tried many a bad chocolate cupcake in my life and went on a sort of quest to perfect my own chocolate cupcake recipe. I think these chocolate cupcakes come pretty close to perfection – decadently dark and rich and not too sweet.
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 250ml boiling water
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1⅔ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 285g dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- ½ cup water
- 175g butter
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 x 12 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Stir the cocoa powder, coffee and brown sugar in a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Whisk to mix and set aside.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy and then add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour, bicarb and baking powder. Pour in the cocoa/coffee mixture and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins and fill approximately ¾ full (this recipe should make around 18 cupcakes)
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cupcakes slightly spring back when touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly in their tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Melt the chopped chocolate with the water in short bursts in the microwave, stirring occasionally until melted.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk them into the chocolate.
- Whisk in sifted icing sugar until completely combined and the ganache is smooth. If it starts to go grainy keep whisking – it will come good!
- Cool until spreadable, whisking occasionally. Pop in the fridge to speed up this process.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
Leave a comment
Happy Thanksgiving to all my North American readers! I would love to experience an authentic Thanksgiving meal in the States some day – can you believe I have never even [...]
Image source When doing your research on a country’s accommodation, sightseeing and transport don’t forget to research an important thing – etiquette. I can’t emphasise enough the importance of researching [...]
Nice things make me happy. And after 2 years of living frugally as a poor student I must admit I have gone a little shopping mad now that I have [...]
I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day, however I do love receiving gifts AND kitschy baking so I can’t complain. I found the most gorgeous Valentine’s Day cake toppers months ago [...]
This was the first red velvet cupcake I have ever baked and eaten and I am in love! This cupcake is steadily becoming one of my most popular, as the [...]