Happy St Patricks Day for tomorrow everyone! I wanted to bake a festive cupcake to celebrate and settled on a green velvet cupcake. To make it a little more Irish I added Baileys Irish Cream to my cream cheese icing and wow, it tasted amazing!
- 120g butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cups caster sugar
- 4 tsp cocoa
- 4 tsp green food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml buttermilk (or add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to normal milk)
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- 4-6 tbsps Baileys Irish Cream (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix the vanilla extract, cocoa powder and green food colouring into a paste. Add the paste to the creamed mixture.
- Add half the buttermilk and mix until combined, followed by half of the flour and baking powder. Mix until incorporated and then add the remainder of the buttermilk and flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar and continue mixing for another 5 minutes until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin and fill approximately ¾ full.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes slightly spring back when touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly in their tin before turning out onto a wire rack
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated.
- Add in Baileys. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
Leave a comment
What started off as a few tweets between food bloggers on Twitter soon spawned into a burger party at Moo Gourmet Burgers in Newtown with 19 attendees! The power of the [...]
This is my first time hosting the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop and I wanted to set a challenge that was both fun and encouraged your imagination to run wild. I’ve always [...]
I had such a fun time hosting the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop last time that I’m doing it all over again with a new theme – Popsicles! We’re in the middle [...]
- Hooray I've found super cheap and cheerful Vietnamese food in Balmain! I feel I'll be coming here a… http://t.co/zWP9fcFTar - posted on 22/04/2014 19:18:48
- The final instalment from my amazing @tasmania trip is now live, feat Swansea & Richmond. Enjoy! #discovertasmania http://t.co/ft1bohnBLh - posted on 22/04/2014 16:33:50
- Trying to decide where to travel this year. Have narrowed it down to Morocco, Base Camp, Malaysia, NY, China, Hawaii, Paris & Mexico. Hmmm.. - posted on 21/04/2014 21:41:06