Food, Recipes, Slices/Pies/Tarts

Passionfruit Slice

Share the loveShare on Facebook10Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest22Share on StumbleUpon0Google+0Email to someoneShare on Yummly0

I love recipes passed down from generation to generation and was recently sent this beautiful old recipe for passionfruit slice by a friend from his Mum. Since most of my recipes are now printed off from the internet and then hastily stuffed in my binder folder, I love coming across old faded and hand typed recipes such as this.

I made a few slight adjustments to this recipe but it was pretty much perfect as is (and oh so easy). Enjoy!

Passionfruit Slice
  • 3 lemons, juiced
Passionfruit Topping
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ cup caster sugar
  • 2 heaped tbsp custard power mixed with ½ cup water
  • 4 passionfruit
  1. Mix together ingredients and press into a 30cm fluted tart tin or a rectangular slice tin.
  2. Bake for 10 mins on 180°C or until golden brown.
  3. Allow to cool.
Cream Filling
  1. Combine all ingredients together and beat until slightly thickened.
  2. Pour over cooled base and put in the fridge to set.
Passionfruit Topping
  1. Stir water, caster sugar and custard power disolved into water in a saucepan over low heat until thickened.
  2. Allow mixture to cool before adding the pulp of the passionfruit.
  3. Pour passionfruit mixture over the cream filling and put back in the fridge to set (I like to let mine set over night before slicing).

Do you have a favourite recipe passed down through your family? I am desperate to get my hands on my late Grandma’s famous steamed golden syrup pudding!

• Reply Alana August 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

:O your photos are stunning. Older + loved recipes like that are so exciting to come by, even all the little stains on that page have me swooning! I’m on a condensed milk high at the moment, so, I totally want to try that cream filling real soon. Aww yeah.

• Reply Swah August 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Thank you and yes the stains are great! It looks like a well-loved recipe. I think condensed milk has to be one of the best ingredients EVER and yes sometimes I just suck it out of the tube hehe :)

• Reply chocolatesuze August 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm

condensed milk omg yes! that looks and sounds absolutely delish!

• Reply Swah August 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Suze! Anything featuring condensed milk is a winner in my books :D

• Reply Casey August 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm

If you make steamed pudding I will love you more than anything INCLUDING potatoes and cheese.

• Reply Swah August 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Oh my goodness, this is an opportunity that can’t be missed as I know how much you love potato and cheese! I will harass Dad for the recipe :)

• Reply Christine August 14, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Yum! I love stealing my grandmother’s recipes hehe :) This looks great!

• Reply Swah August 14, 2012 at 8:02 pm

They are the best! And the recipes are usually so simple and fuss-free which I love

• Reply Jaie August 15, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Hey Swah the slice looks fantastic! My mum would be proud.

Did you have any troubles getting the reduced cream? I couldn’t find it when I made it so I used some plain yogurt mixed with vanilla extract and caster sugar.

• Reply Swah August 15, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thank you and I am glad I made your mama proud! Fortunately I had no trouble getting the reduced cream from World Square Coles (although funnily enough they had no lemons so I had to go on a wild goose chase around Chinatown for them). However I think your idea of substituting plain yoghurt sounds great (and a little healthier!)

• Reply vegeTARAian August 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

What a clever fox you are, it looks a-ma-zing!!

• Reply Swah August 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

Why thank you Tara! :)

• Reply Chanel August 16, 2012 at 11:34 am

Wow this is just gorgeous! I love everything – the typed recipe, the photography, and PASSIONFRUIT!

• Reply Swah August 16, 2012 at 11:47 am

Many thanks Chanel, and yes everything is better with PASSIONFRUIT! :D

• Reply Amanda August 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh wow, that looks absolutely perfect and I can almost smell the fragrant passion fruit emanating from my screen

• Reply Swah August 17, 2012 at 10:42 am

Every time I opened the fridge door, the smell of passionfruit wafted out. It was wonderful!