I discovered this Coconut Bread recipe by Bill Granger recently via Tara from Vegetaraian. I loved this twist on the normal banana bread I love so dearly but felt Bill’s recipe was a bit dry and the coconut flavour not strong enough for my coconut-loving taste buds.
I made a few tweaks to his recipe – I swapped the milk for coconut milk and toasted the coconut to maximise the coconut taste, and increased the butter as I felt his was too dry. With these improvements it produced a lovely and moist toasted coconut bread which is amazing warmed up and slathered with butter. The perfect breakfast/afternoon tea/treat!
- 2 eggs
- 300ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150g shredded and toasted coconut
- 100g butter melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 21 x 10 cm loaf tin with butter.
- Spread coconut out on a lined baking tray in an even layer. Toast in oven for 3-4 minutes until golden brown (watch like a hawk as it can burn easily!) Allow coconut to cool.
- Lightly whisk eggs, coconut milk and vanilla together.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Add sugar and toasted coconut and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
- Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is just smooth, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into your greased loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin to cool for 5 minutes, and remove to cool further on a wire rack.
- Slice with a serrated knife and serve in thick slices with butter.
Leave a comment
I wanted to make a festive cupcake to celebrate Easter that combined Easter eggs and my current craving for chocolate and peanut butter. I settled on a chocolate cupcake with [...]
If you wonder why I have been so busy lately, slaving away on weekends and nights instead of doing fun things such as eating and drinking, well I’ve been madly [...]
This is the last (but certainly not least) addition to my Microwave Mug Cake series – banana! First we had dark chocolate, then salted caramel, followed by S’mores. I like to refer to [...]
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17
- My walk to work this morning was pretty amazing. Loving these sunny, crisp mornings - posted on 17/04/2014 18:24:00
- Already smashed 2 Easter eggs and a Nutella-covered Hot Cross Bun by 10am. - posted on 17/04/2014 10:41:24