This month’s theme on SABH is Cake & Three Veg. I toyed with the idea of a chocolate-beetroot cake or a chocolate and avocado mousse but after eying off the lonely carrots rattling around the bottom of my fridge I decided to perfect my carrot cake recipe.
The initial plan – a two layered dense and moist carrot cake sandwiched together and covered in coconut cream cheese icing. If you are making a cake, then why is there a photograph of cupcakes Swah? I am sure you are wondering. Well, there was a little disaster.
I find a lot of dessert blogs consistently produce profesional looking, beautifully shot and styled desserts without ever touching on the inevitable situation of a dessert-related-complete-freaking-disaster. I must admit I rarely encounter anything too disastrous in my kitchen. I am organised and meticulous when baking and generally escape unscathed. Not this time.
I followed my tweaked recipe to a T, baked the 2 cakes in the oven and let them cool down over night. I whipped up a batch of my cream cheese icing with coconut essence, it tasted delicious. I put my first layer down onto my pretty cake stand, then spooned over 1/3 of the icing. Wonderful. I then placed my second layer on top. The perfectionist in me noticed it was slightly off-centre and I stupidly trying to gently lift it up and readjust. One of the great things about this carrot cake is how moist it is, however this worked against me when trying to shift things.
“Icing will fix everything!” I thought as worrying cracks started forming in the top layer. I had iced the top of the cake and was working my way around the sides as carefully as possible when slowly but surely, my beautiful cake started collapsing in slow motion. Sob!
But don’t worry this delicious cake didn’t go to waste! The remnants were piled into a tupperware container and promptly devoured.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups finely grated Carrot (about 4 large carrots)
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 600g sifted icing sugar (4-5 cups)
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tsps coconut essence
- Shredded coconut to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the bases of 2 x 20 cm cake tins with bake paper and grease the sides with butter.
- Beat the brown sugar and oil together until combined. Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in flour, spices and bicarb, and add grated carrot and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the 2 cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool slightly in their tins before turning out onto a tray to cool completely.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated.
- Add in the coconut essence and continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Using an offset spatula, spread ⅓ of the icing on top of the first cake layer.
- Place the second cake on top (upside down) and dollop the remaining ⅔ of the icing on top of the cake. Using the offset spatula, begin to smooth the icing out across the top and over the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with shredded coconut.
Have you had any complete disasters in the kitchen recently? How did you manage to salvage it?
Leave a comment
I just realised I never showed you pictures of the cupcakes I made for a dear friend’s engagement party. I made in excess of 100 cupcakes over a few days and for [...]
Hey guys, A huge thank you to everyone who came down to visit JJ & I at the MCA Zine Fair on Sunday. It was a busy, exhausting and fun [...]
I’m stepping up my game in my Microwave Mug Cake series. First we had dark chocolate, then salted caramel… and now S’MORES! For those who don’t know what a S’more [...]
- Happy (early) birthday to me! @ Vacanza In The Hills http://t.co/u7g861e0uI - posted on 11/12/2013 20:47:44
- I am getting festive this Christmas with Candy Cane Cupcakes wearing reindeer antlers! http://t.co/sjZWB3aFcB - posted on 11/12/2013 15:15:25
- This beautiful weather is terrible. - posted on 10/12/2013 11:56:22