Happy Australia Day for tomorrow, everyone! Australia Day is celebrated on the 26th January and the date commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788. As Australia Day falls on a Saturday this year, we get to enjoy a long weekend and take Monday off work, yippee!
For Australia Day, I wanted to combine 2 iconic Australian snacks foods – Tim Tams and Milo. I also wanted to incorporate the good old lamington into the recipe (like I made last year) and ended up rolling my Tim Tam & Milo truffles in coconut for the effect (and to satisfy my ongoing coconut obsession).
You know that old adage, “Do as I say, not as I do”? Well it certainly applies to this recipe! DO follow the recipe and only use 3/4 can of sweetened condensed milk. DO refrigerate for the suggested amount of time. Considering I wrote this recipe you think I would follow my own advice, no? Well I was a little heavy handed with the sweetened condensed milk, I insisted on baking on a hot and humid day and I impatiently didn’t give them enough time to properly set in the fridge. By the time I had stacked them into a little truffle pyramid and anointed them with their Australian flag, they were starting to look a little… droopy.
I ended up transferring them into mini cupcake cases and returning them to the fridge where they hardened up nicely – and it proved to be a cute way to serve them to guests.
- 200g packet of Tim Tams (I used the dark chocolate ones)
- 4 tbsp Milo
- ¾ of a 400g can of sweetened condensed milk (save the rest for Viet iced coffee)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Blend Tim Tams in a food processor until finely crushed
- Pour the contents into a medium bowl and stir in Milo
- Add in ¾ of the sweetened condensed milk and stir until well combined
- Transfer mixture to the fridge and let set for at least an hour
- Once the mixture has firmed up, roll mixture into teaspoon sized balls. I find it easiest if your hands are slightly damp
- Roll each ball into the shredded coconut and transfer back to the fridge to firm up before serving
Leave a comment
I always love it when food and design collide and it frequently involves Pantone. These Pantone Pairings of food on Instagram by Minneapolis based designer David Schwen are eye-catching, clever and I [...]
I saw this ad for Fancy Feast on the TV the other night and was beside myself with joy. I had to share. Cats at a sushi train?! It must [...]
Hey guys! I’m back from my American adventures and a bit jet lagged. So while I get myself together and start writing city-based guides, I wanted to share some handy [...]
- Comic Sans gets a minimalist makeover. Hmmm.... http://t.co/dzNGlB5nQr - posted on 15/04/2014 12:10:56
- I've teamed up with @VitasoyAus to bring you a delicious and decadent Choc & Raspberry Vegan Mousse! #spillthebeans http://t.co/8gMwr0SFHT - posted on 15/04/2014 11:50:43
- I CAN'T BELIEVE JOFFREY THREW THINGS AT SIGUR ROS - posted on 14/04/2014 21:20:41