St Patrick’s Day is on Sunday and it’s always a good excuse to add booze to desserts! I added Guinness beer to the batter of the dark chocolate cake, giving it a rich and slightly bitter depth which contrasted beautifully with the sweet Baileys cream cheese icing. This is possible one of my favourite chocolate cakes to make now, moist and dense but not too heavy.
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 250g butter
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups caster sugar
- 140 ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- 4-6 tbsps Baileys Irish Cream (to taste)
- Preheat oven 180°C and butter and line a 23cm springform tin.
- Melt the butter into the Guinness in a saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in the cocoa and sugar and take the saucepan off the heat.
- Beat the sour cream with the eggs in a separate bowl until combined, than add to the beer mixture.
- Whisk in the flour and bicarb until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for an hour. The middle of the cake may still be slightly wet when you take the cake out, but it will firm up as it cools down.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin as it is quite a damp cake and could collapse.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated.
- Add in Baileys. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Dollop lashings of the icing onto the top of the cake to recreate the froth on a glass of Guinness. If you are feeling particularly dexterous, slice the cake length-wise and fill the cake with the icing too (there will be definitely be enough icing).
This icing recipe makes a lot, I spread mine just on top of the cake to emulate the froth on top of a glass of Guinness (and also possibly out of laziness and lack of time!). But feel free to ice the sides of the cake or even slice it in half horizontally and fill the cake with icing too. You can never have too much Baileys icing ;)
Leave a comment
Well, this is a first for Love Swah. A healthy recipe. That’s raw. And gluten and dairy free. No, I haven’t gone mad! Would you believe when I am not [...]
Vivid Sydney is a festival that takes over the city after dark from 25 May – 11 June this year and transforms Sydney into a spectacular canvas of light, music and ideas. [...]
Do you like bagels, beers and beats? Who doesn’t?! Brooklyn Boy Bagels are teaming up with Helm Bar to bring a little slice of New York to Darling Harbour. Your ticket guarantees you [...]
- Goddamn, @bananaparty just cooked cooksuck and I bone marrow, garlic bread and a pleb salad. I'm… http://t.co/vfRCOJ7DCj - posted on 19/04/2014 16:13:35
- Celebrating Good Friday with steak - posted on 18/04/2014 20:19:31
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17