Autumn is settling in to Sydney and bringing with it a delicious array of seasonal fruits, vegetables and nuts. This month’s Sweet Adventure’s Blog Hop focuses on seasonal produce and gave me a chance to develop a recipe with two of my favourite autumn ingredients – apples and walnuts! Naturally I had to add spices to the loaf – cinnamon is apple’s best friend and nutmeg is warming and a perfect flavour for the cooling days. I topped off the loaf with a streusel topping – a satisfying sweet buttery crunch.
- 2 cups diced apples (about 1½ large)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 120g butter, softened
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180°. Grease a loaf tin with butter (or use a silicon non-stick one).
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add egg and continue beating until well combined.
- Stir in diced apples.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda into bowl. Add chopped walnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture over the top of loaf before putting into the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the loaf is brown and crusty on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in tray on rack.
I also made a batch into little muffins, this recipe makes 12 cupcake-sized treats. Make sure you fill each liner with mixture nearly all the way (about 7/8 full) as the mixture doesn’t rise much.
Leave a comment
I’ve been seeing some amazing travel videos springing up on Vimeo lately and have been bookmarking each to share them with you. They sure are giving me itchy feet to [...]
It’s February and I am getting excited about that special day looming in the near future. No I’m not talking about Valentine’s Day, or ever Chinese New Year. I am [...]
Hello from America! I am writing this post in quite the jet lagged haze, so please excuse if I stop making sense. I was excited to find out that this [...]
- Hooray I've found super cheap and cheerful Vietnamese food in Balmain! I feel I'll be coming here a… http://t.co/zWP9fcFTar - posted on 22/04/2014 19:18:48
- The final instalment from my amazing @tasmania trip is now live, feat Swansea & Richmond. Enjoy! #discovertasmania http://t.co/ft1bohnBLh - posted on 22/04/2014 16:33:50
- Trying to decide where to travel this year. Have narrowed it down to Morocco, Base Camp, Malaysia, NY, China, Hawaii, Paris & Mexico. Hmmm.. - posted on 21/04/2014 21:41:06