Autumn is settling in to Sydney and bringing with it a delicious array of seasonal fruits, vegetables and nuts. This month’s Sweet Adventure’s Blog Hop focuses on seasonal produce and gave me a chance to develop a recipe with two of my favourite autumn ingredients – apples and walnuts! Naturally I had to add spices to the loaf – cinnamon is apple’s best friend and nutmeg is warming and a perfect flavour for the cooling days. I topped off the loaf with a streusel topping – a satisfying sweet buttery crunch.
- 2 cups diced apples (about 1½ large)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 120g butter, softened
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180°. Grease a loaf tin with butter (or use a silicon non-stick one).
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add egg and continue beating until well combined.
- Stir in diced apples.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda into bowl. Add chopped walnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly.
- Sprinkle streusel mixture over the top of loaf before putting into the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the loaf is brown and crusty on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in tray on rack.
I also made a batch into little muffins, this recipe makes 12 cupcake-sized treats. Make sure you fill each liner with mixture nearly all the way (about 7/8 full) as the mixture doesn’t rise much.
Leave a comment
Last week I had the pleasure of attending the launch of The Distillery letterpress studio as well as attend a letterpress course at the Penrith Museum of Printing. It was [...]
Hey everyone! I’m excited to be hosting this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop for the very first time :) I’ve participated in the challenges over 10 times and love trying [...]
Pinterest has always been a huge source for inspiration of design and interior ideas, and lately I been discovering awesome baking ideas including glow in the dark cupcakes (omg) and piñata cupcakes (genius). [...]
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17
- My walk to work this morning was pretty amazing. Loving these sunny, crisp mornings - posted on 17/04/2014 18:24:00
- Already smashed 2 Easter eggs and a Nutella-covered Hot Cross Bun by 10am. - posted on 17/04/2014 10:41:24