When I asked my friend what he wanted me to bake for his birthday he instantly declared pavlova! I must admit I had a bit of “pavlova anxiety”. Having eaten a fair bit of bad pav in my life – dried out, collapsed or even undercooked (ugh) I wanted to perfect my recipe.
Fortunately this technique is easy and relatively fool-proof and produced the most gorgeous pavlova – crunchy on the outside and soft and marshmallowy on the inside. Success! I wanted to top it with seasonal fruit and picked up some gorgeous passionfruit and kiwis to adorn it with. Combined with a generous dollop of whipped cream it was promptly devoured.
- 4 egg whites (room temp)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsps cornflour
- 1 tsps white vinegar
- 250ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 x kiwifruit
- 2 x passionfruit
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cornflour and vinegar and fold through.
- Spoon mixture into a 18-20cm circle. Using a palette knife, shape into a circle with high sides.
- Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C and cook for 1 hour.
- Then turn the oven off and allow the meringue to completely cool in the oven.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently transfer pavlova to a cake stand. To serve, top with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
You can top it with whatever fruits are in season- berries, figs, cooked apples, or add cocoa powder to the meringue and top with chocolate and cream!
Leave a comment
I’m getting itchy feet again and am starting to plan my next holiday – once I finally decide on my destination of course! I’m thinking a few weeks in Reykjavík [...]
Today I made a saucy dessert for this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop. This is a super easy and quick treat to whip up when you have friends over or [...]
A lovely friend recently introduced me to the credit-card draining website Beautiful Spaces. A lot of ooohing and aaaahing soon commenced and I honestly don’t know where to start! So [...]
- I'm on a boat! Work Christmas party :) @ Sydney Harbour http://t.co/fNaXUmUcbm - posted on 12/12/2013 14:04:27
- Happy (early) birthday to me! @ Vacanza In The Hills http://t.co/u7g861e0uI - posted on 11/12/2013 20:47:44
- I am getting festive this Christmas with Candy Cane Cupcakes wearing reindeer antlers! http://t.co/sjZWB3aFcB - posted on 11/12/2013 15:15:25