When I asked my friend what he wanted me to bake for his birthday he instantly declared pavlova! I must admit I had a bit of “pavlova anxiety”. Having eaten a fair bit of bad pav in my life – dried out, collapsed or even undercooked (ugh) I wanted to perfect my recipe.
Fortunately this technique is easy and relatively fool-proof and produced the most gorgeous pavlova – crunchy on the outside and soft and marshmallowy on the inside. Success! I wanted to top it with seasonal fruit and picked up some gorgeous passionfruit and kiwis to adorn it with. Combined with a generous dollop of whipped cream it was promptly devoured.
- 4 egg whites (room temp)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsps cornflour
- 1 tsps white vinegar
- 250ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 x kiwifruit
- 2 x passionfruit
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cornflour and vinegar and fold through.
- Spoon mixture into a 18-20cm circle. Using a palette knife, shape into a circle with high sides.
- Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C and cook for 1 hour.
- Then turn the oven off and allow the meringue to completely cool in the oven.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream and icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently transfer pavlova to a cake stand. To serve, top with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
You can top it with whatever fruits are in season- berries, figs, cooked apples, or add cocoa powder to the meringue and top with chocolate and cream!
Leave a comment
2011, oh what a crazy year! So many amazing and new things happened, there were highs and there were lows and I was the busiest I have ever been in [...]
I have always been turned off diet food delivery services – the food was over processed, the flavours were bland and there was so much sodium in them I felt they [...]
Hello Internet! I was wondering if I could have some help. My housemate and I purchased a lovely couch recently, it’s name is Frenchie (Freedom named it, not us). I [...]
- Meat, booze and cinema. I'm in heaven. @ Golden Age Cinema & Bar http://t.co/lFLR6G3xqO - posted on 07/03/2014 18:30:40
- Balmain I love you (not your buses though) http://t.co/vtpTOMfRtD - posted on 06/03/2014 20:12:23
- I love presents! Thank you KitchenAid, I can't wait to whip up some cookies on the weekend… http://t.co/SlUfBgSrru - posted on 06/03/2014 11:42:46