The Nutella Fauxnut – A Super Easy DIY Cronut!

By now we’ve all pretty much heard of the Cronut™. The croissant/donut hybrid created in New York by chef Dominique Ansel that has seen people queuing up from before 5am in the morning just to give it a try. His version is rolled in sugar, filled with cream and then topped with glaze (in May it was Rose Vanilla, and now for June it is Lemon Maple.) Soon enough, copycats began springing up around the world (including Adrian Zumbo’s Zonut) and Ansel swiftly trademarked his Cronut™.

This month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop is “Out of the Frying Pan” and is celebrating all things fried – what a perfect excuse to give this a whirl!

I wanted to create an easy DIY version of the Cronut™ that any home baker could recreate in their kitchen. I used store-bought puffed pastry (shock horror!) and my technique was actually embarrassingly simple – the reason I ended up calling it a Fauxnut! A criticism I have heard of the Cronut™ is that it is sickly sweet, so I decided to skip the triple threat of sugar x sweet cream x glaze. I considered a cinnamon icing initially and ended up settling on a Nutella filling. Because we all know how amazing Nutella is! A light dusting of icing sugar gave the Fauxnut the right amount of sweetness.

The Nutella Fauxnut - A Super Easy DIY Cronut!

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 9
Ingredients
  • 3 x sheets store-bought puff pastry
  • 750ml vegetable oil or other flavourless oil
  • 1 cup Nutella
  • 3 tbsp icing sugar
Instructions
  1. Pour vegetable oil into a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat, bring the oil to 170°C. If you don't have a thermometer, test the temperature of the oil by dropping in one of your donut holes - if it immediately starts to bubble and rise to the surface, your oil is hot enough.
  2. While the oil is heating, cut donut shapes out of your thawed puff pastry. Use a large, round cookie cutter and a much smaller one to remove the "donut hole". I got 6 donut shapes per sheet of puff pastry.
  3. As soon as the oil has reached the correct temperature, gently lower in your first donut. It will start to puff up and brown.
  4. Once the bottom of the donut is golden brown, turn it over with a slotted spoon and let it brown on the other side before quickly removing it from the oil and placing on paper towel to drain.
  5. Repeat this process with the remaining donuts (and donut holes!) until all are golden brown. Be careful the oil doesn't get too hot as they may start to burn.
  6. Put the Nutella in a small piping bag and pipe a thick line of Nutella around the top of half the cooled Fauxnuts.
  7. Gently sandwich the remaining Fauxnuts on top of each one.
  8. Dust the top of each Fauxnut with icing sugar.

Here is a quick step-by-step guide!

Step 1: Cut out the donut sheets from the thawed puff pastry using a larger and smaller cookie cutter.

Step 2: Once your oil is hot enough, gently lower the donut into the hot oil. It should immediately start to bubble and puff and rise to the surface.

Step 3: When the bottom is golden brown, turn the donut over in the oil to cook the other side.

Step 4: Drain all the Fauxnuts on paper towel and allow to cool (I made a mixture of big and small Fauxnuts).

Step 5: Pipe the Nutella in a circle on top of half the Fauxnuts, before gently sandwiching the remaining ones together.

Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!

What’s my verdict? Well without having the opportunity to yet try a Cronut™ (or even a Zonut) for comparison I can only go by what I made today. The slightly savoury puff pastry contrasts well with the sweet Nutella and dusting of icing sugar. Despite quickly frying and draining the Fauxnuts, they are still VERY and buttery rich. I would enforce a 1 Fauxnut per person rule if you don’t want to feel sick afterwards!

Have you tried a Cronut™ or Zonut? Do they live up to the hype?

Comments

• Swah says

I’m still curious to try the Zonut but I’m never in the area either… and this is a much easier and quicker method! :)

• Swah says

So simple and delicious! And I’m glad you like the rainbow, it’s an issue I feel very strongly about :)

• Swah says

It’s so so easy Christine! And I highly recommend playing around with flavours… I would like a cinnamon version and maybe a lemon drizzle version too :)

• Swah says

It is indeed slightly more healthy (probably only slightly though haha) and so easy to whip up at home without pastry chef skills!

• says

I’m making this cake today as a trial run for my daerthugs wedding cake. How did you get such perfectly even layers of the nutella buttercream between each layer?(FYI – I think the Nutella buttercream is the best I ever tasted….even better than my own peanut butter buttercream)

• Swah says

Nutella buttercream is indeed the tastiest thing in the world! Using a piping bag and piping an even spiral on each layer ensures it is even :)

• Swah says

Haha ofcourse I am the one responsible for this monstrosity! Maybe you could try a healthier version? Or would that defeat the purpose… ;)

• says

Yeah, there is no way to make this one healthy (although I have thought about it ;D) and it would totally defeat the purpose! Even baking instead of frying would barely do any good – ha! The original injects the filling into the side so it oozes out of every bite. I want one!

• Swah says

I’m assuming (hoping) the fuss will have died down by November when I visit NY, so I don’t have to line up at 5.30am for one! :D

• Swah says

Give it a try Raff, they are so easy! You could even make your own puffed pastry for a more authentic take on the Cronut if you could be bothered… clearly I couldn’t ;)

• Swah says

I must admit I am still quite keen to try a deep fried Mars Bar…. I’d probably regret it immediately after though ;)

1. says

Love it!! I was thinking there must be some ingenious way to make some Cronut like dessert at home and you’ve found it! I’ll have to try this some time :D

2. says

WOW!! I must be behind the times, I have never heard of a cronut or a zonut! I cant wait to try making these with my daughter!

I am a late entry to the SABH, I hope you come over to me site and see what I made… my thumbnai hasn’t appeared yet :(

P.S I am pinning this :)

3. says

I still don’t know how I feel about Cronuts. Living in Adelaide we’re unlikely to get them anytime soon (but who knows) so I guess I don’t have to worry about it for a while.

I do have to say I’m absolutely in love with your cake stand! Where is it from? I’m amassing quite a collection but there’s always room for more. :)

• Swah says

I too have an every increasing collection of cake stands! It was from Myer and the brand is Salt & Pepper :)

4. jodi says

If i won i would love your Sweet Treats Vol. 2 cakes and cookies, Sweet Treats Vol. 1 cupcakes and Sweet Treats Vol. 3 Pies, dips, tarts and more.

Thanks :). Love your site!

• Swah says

These are best eaten straight away, unfortunately I think they might get too oily if made a day ahead sorry :(

Trackbacks