I was very excited to hear this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop theme was COOKIE MONSTER and hosted by Sophie from The Sticky and Sweet. I love cookies (or biscuits as they’re more often referred to in Australia) and I knew I wanted to make a cookie sandwich – what’s better than 1 cookie? 2 cookies sandwiched together!
Ever since I saw David Lebovitz’s recipe for Caramelised White Chocolate I knew I had to attempt it myself. I ended up adding some heavy cream to make it into a spreadable ganache and it was the perfect accompaniment to my coconut cookies.
- 250g white chocolate
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 115g butter, room temp
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1⅓ cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 120ºC.
- Put white chocolate in an oven-proof dish (I used a pyrex bowl) and heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove dish with oven mitt and stir. Return dish to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process for approximately 30-40 mins, or until your white chocolate is the colour of peanut butter.
- Allow to cool and add in your salt. When the chocolate cools down to room temperature, beat in the heavy cream until smooth and spreadable and set aside.
- Turn up oven to 180ºC and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt mixture, then the coconut and mix until just combined.
- Dollop dessert spoons full of dough onto the baking tray, you should fit approx 12 per tray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the oven, or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
- When cookies are cooled, spread caramelised white chocolate mixture onto half and sandwich the cookies together with the remainders.
This was my caramelised white chocolate after 40 minutes in the oven – it had reached a gorgeous golden brown colour.
Once room temperature and blended with the heavy cream, it reaches the perfect spreadable consistency for your cookies. If the ganache starts to harden up, pop it in the microwave in 10 second bursts on medium and stir until spreadable again.
The chewy coconutty cookies pair perfectly with the caramelised white chocolate and I must admit I have eaten more than my share this weekend. Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Food and typography are 2 of my greatest loves in life (after cats) and when a friend showed me the work of designer and illustrator Danielle Evans I was smitten. Using [...]
I love nothing more than a relaxing and uplifting cup of English Breakfast tea during the day and a cup of SleepyTime tea before bed. And packaging for tea has [...]
This time of year is often stressful for a lot of us, not only does the financial and emotional pressure often take its toll (don’t you love those family fights?), [...]
- Happy (early) birthday to me! @ Vacanza In The Hills http://t.co/u7g861e0uI - posted on 11/12/2013 20:47:44
- I am getting festive this Christmas with Candy Cane Cupcakes wearing reindeer antlers! http://t.co/sjZWB3aFcB - posted on 11/12/2013 15:15:25
- This beautiful weather is terrible. - posted on 10/12/2013 11:56:22