This is the second recipe in my Microwave Mug Cake series (you can find #1 Dark Chocolate here) and of course I had to chose my favourite flavour of the moment, salted caramel! The brown sugar in this mug cake gives it a rich and caramelised flavour and you are treated to a delicious surprise of salted caramel in the middle. I have provided options for caramel fillings including salted caramel sauce, dulce de leche and Nestle caramel baking bits.
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (or flavourless oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp salted caramel/dulce de leche (see below for recipes)
- Put butter into mug and microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
- Add in egg and milk and lightly beat with a fork until combined.
- Add dry ingredients into mug and beat with your fork until mixed through.
- Add a tablespoon of salted caramel/dulce de leche to the top of the mixture, this will sink as it cooks giving you a gooey caramel surprise.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- The pudding should be risen and still slightly gooey in the middle. If still undercooked for your liking, cook it further in 10 second bursts in the microwave.
- Drizzle the top with the second tablespoon of salted caramel/dulce de leche.
Here is my recipe to make your own Dulce de Leche or see here for my recipe for Salted Caramel Sauce. For a super quick option, throw in a tablespoon of Nestle caramel chips before you microwave for an instant caramel hit.
This mug cake is a super easy solution for a quick sugar hit, with the right balance of salty and sweet. Feel free to add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on top but I love it just the way it is!