This is the second recipe in my Microwave Mug Cake series (you can find #1 Dark Chocolate here) and of course I had to chose my favourite flavour of the moment, salted caramel! The brown sugar in this mug cake gives it a rich and caramelised flavour and you are treated to a delicious surprise of salted caramel in the middle.
I have provided several options for the caramel filling including salted caramel sauce, dulce de leche and Nestle caramel baking bits. The whole point of this recipe is to be simple and quick, so make use of whatever you have in the pantry!
Here is my recipe to make your own Dulce de Leche and here for my recipe for Salted Caramel Sauce. For a super quick option, throw in a tablespoon of Nestle caramel chips before you microwave for an instant caramel hit.
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (or flavourless oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp salted caramel/dulce de leche (see below for recipes)
- Put butter into mug and microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
- Add in egg and milk and lightly beat with a fork until combined.
- Add dry ingredients into mug and beat with your fork until mixed through.
- Add a tablespoon of salted caramel/dulce de leche to the top of the mixture, this will sink as it cooks giving you a gooey caramel surprise.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- The pudding should be risen and still slightly gooey in the middle. If still undercooked for your liking, cook it further in 10 second bursts in the microwave.
- Drizzle the top with the second tablespoon of salted caramel/dulce de leche.
This mug cake is a super easy solution for a quick sugar hit, with the right balance of salty and sweet. Feel free to add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on top but I love it just the way it is!