This is the last (but certainly not least) addition to my Microwave Mug Cake series – banana! First we had dark chocolate, then salted caramel, followed by S’mores. I like to refer to this mug cake as “breakfast in a cup” as it combines two of my favourite breakfast items – banana bread and coffee! But I guarantee you will want to eat this any time of day.
The banana ensures this cake is super moist and dense, and it’s literally like eating a hybrid banana bread-pudding in a mug! I was about to say it’s a healthier version than cafe-bought banana bread due to the relatively low amounts of butter/sugar/flour, but then I remembered I covered it in ice cream. Sorry.
Make sure you use a large mug, otherwise the mixture can overflow (I learned this lesson the hard way!)
As always, I love seeing readers recreate my recipes. This version from Angie looks absolutely delicious and she topped hers with some crumble for extra texture and flavour. Yum!
- 1 tbsp butter, melted (or flavourless oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 scoop of coffee ice cream to serve
- Put butter into mug and microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
- Add in egg and milk and lightly beat with a fork until combined.
- Add mashed banana into the mug and continue stirring with you fork until mixed through.
- Finally, add dry ingredients into the mug and beat with your fork until combined.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- The pudding should be risen and still slightly gooey in the middle. If still undercooked for your liking, cook it further in 10 second bursts in the microwave.
- Serve with a generous scoop of coffee ice cream.
I hope you enjoyed my Microwave Mug Cakes series! Are there any other series of baked treats you would like me to trial?