You can’t beat a classic pavlova with crunchy white clouds of meringue and cream, or can you? How about a chocolate pavlova? With Nutella? Now we’re talking! I made this a double decker pavlova purely to have an excuse to fit more Nutella, strawberries and cream between the layers :)
- 4 egg whites (room temp)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 250ml thickened cream
- ¼ cup Nutella (or more if you want, no judgement)
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating well until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cornflour, vinegar and cocoa powder and fold through.
- Spoon mixture into 2 18-20cm circles. Using a palette knife, shape into a circle with high sides.
- Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C and cook for 45 minutes.
- Then turn the oven off and allow the meringues to completely cool in the oven (at least an hour).
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently transfer first layer of pavlova to a cake stand. Spread half the cream over the top, followed by half of the Nutella (microwave it for 10 seconds to help make runny).
- Chop half of the strawberries into a rough dice and sprinkle on top.
- Carefully put on the second layer of pavlova and repeat the cream and Nutella process. Garnish the top with halved strawberries.
- To serve, a dusting of icing sugar.
Here we have the first layer of the chocolate pavlova, covered in a generous layer of whipped cream, Nutella and chopped strawberries.
Then gently sandwich the second layer of pavlova on top, spread the whipped cream across using a spatula and then Jackson Pollock away with your Nutella! I like letting a few bits drip down the sides of the pavlova. Decorate with halved strawberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar and you’re in chocolate-pavlova heaven!
Oh! And the kind folks at Kitchenaid kindly loaned me my dream mixer – a pistachio stand mixer!
The whisk attachment made whipping my egg whites and cream a breeze. In fact it was so efficient I nearly over-whipped my cream as I wasn’t expecting it to get the job done so quickly. Oops!
I was so impressed with its performance (and looks) it even got to guest star in the background before the pavlova was promptly devoured.
A big thank you to Claire for hosting this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop with the brilliant theme Meringue Mania! I am looking forward to salivating over everyone else’s delicious meringue-themed desserts.