Food, Meringues, Recipes

Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella and Strawberries

Share the loveShare on Facebook173Tweet about this on Twitter25Pin on Pinterest7kShare on StumbleUpon1Google+1Email to someoneShare on Yummly

You can’t beat a classic pavlova with crunchy white clouds of meringue and cream, or can you? How about a chocolate pavlova? With Nutella? Now we’re talking! I made this a double decker pavlova purely to have an excuse to fit more Nutella, strawberries and cream between the layers :)

Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella and Strawberries
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 6
  • 4 egg whites (room temp)
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 3 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 3 tsp cocoa powder
  • 250ml thickened cream
  • ¼ cup Nutella (or more if you want, no judgement)
  • 1 punnet of strawberries
  1. Preheat oven to 150°C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg-whites until soft peaks form.
  3. Gradually add the sugar, beating well until the mixture is glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
  4. Add the cornflour, vinegar and cocoa powder and fold through.
  5. Spoon mixture into 2 18-20cm circles. Using a palette knife, shape into a circle with high sides.
  6. Place in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C and cook for 45 minutes.
  7. Then turn the oven off and allow the meringues to completely cool in the oven (at least an hour).
  8. Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form.
  9. Gently transfer first layer of pavlova to a cake stand. Spread half the cream over the top, followed by half of the Nutella (microwave it for 10 seconds to help make runny).
  10. Chop half of the strawberries into a rough dice and sprinkle on top.
  11. Carefully put on the second layer of pavlova and repeat the cream and Nutella process. Garnish the top with halved strawberries.
  12. To serve, a dusting of icing sugar.

Here we have the first layer of the chocolate pavlova, covered in a generous layer of whipped cream, Nutella and chopped strawberries.

Then gently sandwich the second layer of pavlova on top, spread the whipped cream across using a spatula and then Jackson Pollock away with your Nutella! I like letting a few bits drip down the sides of the pavlova. Decorate with halved strawberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar and you’re in chocolate-pavlova heaven!

Oh! And the kind folks at Kitchenaid kindly loaned me my dream mixer – a pistachio stand mixer!

The whisk attachment made whipping my egg whites and cream a breeze. In fact it was so efficient I nearly over-whipped my cream as I wasn’t expecting it to get the job done so quickly. Oops!

I was so impressed with its performance (and looks) it even got to guest star in the background before the pavlova was promptly devoured.

A big thank you to Claire for hosting this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop with the brilliant theme Meringue Mania! I am looking forward to salivating over everyone else’s delicious meringue-themed desserts.

• Reply vegeTARAian September 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hot dang, that looks so good!

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Why thank you lady! x

• Reply Sally September 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

your pavlova looks amazing and I’m having mixer envy, pistachio is my favorite, well joint favorite, the copper is stunning too :)

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you Sally! And I agree, the pistachio mixer is the most beautiful of them all :)

• Reply Claire @ Claire K Creations September 18, 2013 at 8:26 am

Yes now you’re talking! Would it be bad to make this for dessert one night mid-week for just me and my husband? Thanks for joining the hop!

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I think it would be rude not too! It would make you and hubby VERY happy :D

• Reply Tina @ bitemeshowme September 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I’ll never say no to nutella on anything… haha! Great photos featuring the kitchenaid.. stil dreaming of the day that I own one!

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I’m still dreaming of owning it too Tina… I am hoping for my 30th! But that is over a year away so I guess I have to be patient :p

• Reply Alana September 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I believe the only apt emoticon for this is:

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I think that sums it up beautifully Alana :)

• Reply Christine @ Cooking Crusade September 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm

amazing way to use up this season’s strawberry overload! i absolutely adore your cake stand too!

• Reply Swah September 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I can’t believe how cheap strawberries are right now!! I think a lot of my future recipes will have to feature them :)

• Reply My Kitchen Stories September 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Perfect Swah most definitely need two layers so you can eat more Nutella and strawberries, I can’t think of a better idea. i love the colour of that kitchen aid. I can’t survive without mine, i use it every day

• Reply Swah September 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Anything that encourages eating more Nutella and strawberries is highly recommended! I can’t wait to one day own a Kitchen Aid mixer myself :)

• Reply JJ @ 84thand3rd September 19, 2013 at 8:37 am

Seriously loving the meringue stack and the pics – gorgeous on both counts!

• Reply Swah September 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thank you kindly JJ! :D

• Reply Mary @ beyondjelly September 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

Chocolate just makes everything better! That, or bacon…. but I think you made the right choice for the meringue. ;-)

• Reply Swah September 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hmmm a bacon meringue… this could be amazing or terrible, I’m not sure haha. Better stick with chocolate ;)

• Reply milkteaxx September 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm

your creations are away so stunning and delicious! love your array of cake stands!

• Reply Swah September 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thank you! I have quite the cake stand collection/addiction ;)

• Reply Deepa@onesmallpot September 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Lucky you with the mixer! Do you have to give it back? :-P
    The pav looks gorgeous.

• Reply Swah September 20, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Thanks Deepa! Alas I must give it back at some point…. ;(

• Reply Monica @ Gastromony September 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Nutella. Pavlova. You’re saying all the right things! Just scrumptious :)

• Reply Swah September 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Can’t go wrong :)

• Reply Amy Arthurs (Oh, My) September 21, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Oh my goodness woman. You had me at ‘chocolate’. My husband and I were lucky enough to receive a Kitchen Aid as a wedding present. Best thing ever x

• Reply Swah September 23, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Lucky ducks! Thank you xx

• Reply Raw Cashew and Coconut Protein Balls September 23, 2013 at 9:57 am

[…] No, I haven’t gone mad! Would you believe when I am not baking up and sampling delicious chocolate pavlovas or triple salted caramel cupcakes, I am actually quite […]

• Reply Sarah | The Sugar Hit September 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

What a heavenly pav! Looks bloody delicious.

• Reply Swah September 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Sarah! :)

• Reply miss muffins September 27, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hey Swah,
    Going to have to try this!

Have you tried doing the chocolate pav with red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar? It adds this glorious tangy dimension. I add about 100-150g finely grated chocolate to my chocolate pavs too. Cause too much of a good thing is too much, with chocolate being the exception that proves the rule ;)

• Reply Swah September 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Hello, adding vinegar sounds GENIUS! As does adding grated chocolate, oh yum I can’t wait to re-make this :) Thank you!

• Reply Marian at Apricot Tart October 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I’ve just found the perfect dessert for my daughter’s birthday dinner! Thanks, Swah!

• Reply Swah October 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Enjoy Marian! :)

• Reply Nutella Fudge with Hazelnuts and Sea Salt « Love Swah – A Sydney food, travel and design blog February 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

[…] love using it in my recipes whenever possible – for example my Butter Cookies with Nutella, Chocolate Pavlova with Nutella and Strawberries, Nutella Cheesecake, Ferrero Rocher Cake with Nutella Buttercream… ok ok I guess you get the […]

• Reply Emaan July 21, 2014 at 6:29 am

frosting which was an epic fail, the cupcakes ternud out to be scrumptious! I got the recipe from Simone Anne’s Blog; she has some great things on there so be sure to check it out! #gallery-1 { margin: auto; }

• Reply Danijela December 21, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I was looking for a wow factor this Christmas and I have found it!!
    Can I make the whole thing the day before and keep in fridge?? Or can I make the meringue the day before and decorate on the morning??
    Can’t wait to attempt this

• Reply Swah December 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Hello! I would just make the meringue, and then whip the cream and assemble right before servings. Otherwise the cream and Nutella can cause the meringue to collapse and get soggy. Enjoy :)

• Reply Anna January 1, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Hi, this looks amazing! I wanna try it out soon.
    Should I place both the baking trays in the oven and bake them together, or I can bake them separately since my oven is quite a small one?

• Reply Swah January 5, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Hi Anna, if you can fit both trays in the oven that would be ideal, to save yourself time :)

• Reply 34 Delicious Ways To Make Nutella Your Valentine - ZuziFeed February 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

[…] Swah / Via […]

• Reply Amina April 13, 2015 at 12:20 am

Wow, beautiful , i’ll definitely going to try it

• Reply Swah April 16, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Enjoy! :)

• Reply Blueberry and Lilly Pilly Pavlovas – Love Swah – A Sydney food, travel and design blog July 7, 2015 at 2:00 pm

[…] your favourite pavlova flavour combination? Mine would have to be Passionfruit and Kiwi or Nutella and Strawberry. Decisions […]

• Reply Catherine September 2, 2015 at 10:00 am

Would this save for 2 or 3 days before serving? I’d love to make this for a school fundraiser but it would have to stay in the refrigerator For two days prior.

• Reply Swah September 3, 2015 at 10:42 am

Hi there, you can keep the meringue in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, but just make sure you assemble right before serving, otherwise things can get a bit soggy!