Popsicle mania seems to have swept the internet recently and I’ve seen all sorts of wonderful concoctions being whipped up. I was speaking with the lovely Erika recently over a cocktail (or three) and we were enthusing about our love for popsicles – or icy poles, as they’re known in Australia. Not only are they simple to make, but they’re the perfect way to cool down. And with the recent heatwave that has swept Australia, we will need a stash on hand at all times!
This popsicle was actually inspired by a salad I recently had that featured pomegranate, mint and haloumi. It was light, delicious and refreshing with a contrast of flavours and textures that I thought could work well (don’t worry, I omitted the haloumi from my popsicle!)
- 2 cups Pomegranate Peach Passion White Tea (or iced tea of your choosing)
- 1 cup water
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 small bunch of mint
- Combine iced tea, water and juice of ½ a lime and stir until combined.
- Cut pomegranate into sections and de-seed. Set aside.
- Finely chop 1 tablespoon of mint leaves. Mix into pomegranate seeds.
- Pour ice tea mixture into popsicle moulds and fill half way, sprinkling in the pomegranate seed and mint mixture.
- Freeze for an hour, then take out and put in a whole mint leave into each mould. Top the rest up with remaining ice tea mixture and a few more pomegranate seeds.
- Freeze for another 4 hours.
- To remove the popsicles from their mould, quickly run them under a warm tap to loosen, then gently pull out.
I had grand plans of freezing my popsicles in 4 stages so the pomegranate seeds were dispersed evenly, though lack of time and patience got in the way and I froze them in a 2 step process (this ensured the mint leaf didn’t sink and stayed suspended in the middle).
And the result? A refreshing, not-too-sweet popsicle that I thoroughly enjoyed on my balcony on a hot day. I loved crunching down on the pomegranate seeds and getting a burst of flavour, and the white tea gave it a nice kick. Heaven!
And as an ode to my salad that inspired this recipe, I used the leftover pomegranate and mint to make a quick salad with haloumi and rocket. All it needed was a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic and it was the perfect accompaniment to my lunch.
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop: How to link-up
The January Popsicle Party theme hop is open for linkup until 11:59 pm, Friday 24 January [AEST Sydney time].
- Add a link to this post somewhere in your post – You won’t be able to link up in the hop without a ‘backlink’ to this hostess post included in your post.
- Click here for the Thumbnail List code – Copy the code and add it to the bottom of your post in HTML view.
- Click here to Enter the Hop – Make sure to do this step so you appear in the list too! Add the link to your SABH post (NOT your homepage). Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.
If you have a question or aren’t sure of something don’t hesitate to ask. For more information detailed instructions can be found here.
Remember, SABH is open to all food bloggers but only new posts published after the hop goes live can be linked up.
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop is brought to you by 84th & 3rd and monthly Guest Hostesses. Follow on Twitter: @SweetAdvBlogHop and Facebook: /SweetAdventuresBlogHop for new hop announcements and general deliciousness. Thanks for joining SABH!
Leave a comment
Vivid Sydney is a festival that takes over the city after dark from 25 May – 11 June this year and transforms Sydney into a spectacular canvas of light, music and ideas. [...]
I think Easter has to be one of my favourite holidays – an excuse to eat lots of chocolate, laze about the house (as it always seems to rain) and [...]
I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day, however I do love receiving gifts AND kitschy baking so I can’t complain. I found the most gorgeous Valentine’s Day cake toppers months ago [...]
- Celebrating Good Friday with steak - posted on 18/04/2014 20:19:31
- Ugh my blog is down AGAIN and I need to reference a recipe from it. Thank god I have a copy of my… http://t.co/QqErVIiaOd - posted on 17/04/2014 18:42:17
- My walk to work this morning was pretty amazing. Loving these sunny, crisp mornings - posted on 17/04/2014 18:24:00