Donuts! Who doesn’t love donuts! I thought I’d try and make a “healthier” version by baking them in the oven instead of deep frying these little beauties, however my decision to coat them in a decadent dark chocolate ganache probably negated that.
I won’t lie, I had to test this recipe 3 times before I got it right. I tried a yeast-based baked donut, which just tasted like dry bread. I then tried a cake version (ie leavened with baking powder), however I didn’t have a proper donut pan so it swelled into one uber donut.
A friend heard of my donut woes and kindly donated me her mini-donut pan (you can buy one here).
- 1 cup plain flour
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 100g Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease your donut pan with flavourless oil.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Stir in milk, butter and egg until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sandwich bag and cut a corner to make a small hole.
- Using your DIY piping bag, pipe a circle of mixture into each donut hole so that it's approx ½ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Heat cream up into the microwave until warm (not boiling) and then add finely chopped chocolate, stirring until melted and combined.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the chocolate mixture, decorate with sprinkles, and place on a cooling tray to set.
What’s your favourite donut topping? I’m thinking of trying a fresh strawberry glaze next time!