I love using dried fruit in baking for an easy and quick dose of flavour and texture. Cranberries add an extra layer of tartness to any dessert, which is why I love pairing them with white chocolate.
The lovely folks at Ocean Spray sent me some dried cranberries and cranberry sauce recently to get creative with, and this is what I came up with!
I had a hankering for cookies lately and wanted to perfect the ultimate cranberry and white chocolate cookie. I contemplated a cranberry drizzle over the top, until I realised you honestly can’t get better than a cookie sandwich.
The slightly salty cream cheese used in the cranberry filling balances out the sweet cookies well, making them highly addictive.
- 140g butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 125g white chocolate chips
- 125g Ocean Spray Dried Cranberries
- 50g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 tbsp Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Cream the butter and sugars for at least 5 minutes until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add the white chocolate, cranberries, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Beat on low speed until just combined (don't overwork the mixture or it can become tough).
- Dollop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto lined baking trays.
- Bake until cookies are golden around the edges, around 12-14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on a baking rack.
- Combine cream cheese and cranberry sauce in a bowl with electric beaters until thoroughly mixed through.
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating until thick and creamy.
- Use a small offset spatula or a knife, spread a generous amount of icing on half of the cookies, and then sandwich them together with the remaining cookies.
I must admit I got a bit excited with my portion control of the cookie batter and created HUGE cookie sandwiches (not that’s really a problem, let’s be honest). But for health’s sake, I suggest you stick to my rule of a tablespoon-sized ball of dough per cookie.
What’s your favourite way to bake with cranberries?
And don’t forget to swing by the Ocean Spray facebook page – they’re currently running a competition to win one of five $1000 grocery vouchers, by answering the question, ‘What is the most creative cranberry dish you would love to cook and what would you call it?’ in 30 words or less. Get those creative juices flowing!
This post is part of a Nuffnang native advertising series.