After the success of my Microwave Mug Cakes series, I knew there were a lot of people after single/double serving recipes that can be made in the microwave. Whether they lacked self control with a large batch of baked goods (me!) or they didn’t have an oven in their small apartment, these types of recipes were very popular.
So I decided to focus my attention on the cupcake. Let’s say you’re craving a homemade cupcake but you don’t want to spend an hour in the kitchen. Maybe you don’t have the time, or it’s a boiling summers day and slaving away in front of a hot oven is your idea of hell. Not to mention you then have to resist eating all 12 cupcakes you just baked!
So what’s my solution? How about a rich chocolate cupcake that takes 2 minutes to prepare, 2 minutes to cook and serves 2?
I’m not pulling your leg, this easy recipe produces delicious tasting chocolate cupcakes using your good old friend the microwave!
It’s literally a matter of whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl, dividing the mixture between 2 large baking cups (the sturdy, freestanding ones, not cupcake liners) and cooking the cupcakes for 1 minute each.
I found the cupcakes cooked more evenly if you positioned them right in the middle of the microwave and cooked them separately.
I included an egg in my initial recipe, but I found omitting it actually made the cupcakes lighter and fluffier. I honestly wonder if anyone would notice you cooked them in the microwave.
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp butter, melted (or flavourless oil)
- 3 tbsp milk
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5-6 tbsp icing sugar
- Dash of milk, if needed
- Mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl or mug until combined.
- Add in melted butter (or oil), milk and vanilla, and stir with a small whisk or fork until smooth.
- Separate batter between 2 large baking cups (approx 6cm diameter).
- Place first baking cup in the middle of the microwave and cook for 1 min on medium-high.
- Remove the cupcake once cooked, and repeat the process with the other cupcake (the best way to obtain evenly risen cupcakes).
- Using a small spatula, mix the butter well in a bowl until smooth.
- Add in the cocoa powder and stir until there are no more lumps, then gradually add in icing sugar until the frosting is creamy and thick.
- If the mixture is too thick to spread, add in a dash of milk to loosen it up.
- Transfer frosting to a small piping bag with your chosen nozzle attached, and pipe onto the 2 cupcakes, alternatively just ice by hand with a small offset spatula.
This recipe is easily made vegan as it has no eggs in it. Use oil instead of butter and soy/almond milk in the cupcake batter. For the frosting use Nuttelex. Easy peasy!
Will you give my microwave cupcake recipe a go?