Recently I needed to make a dessert at the last minute, and stumbled around the grocery store for inspiration. I ended up whipping up these super easy and delicious mini Salted Caramel Tarts in under 30 minutes (including setting time) and no one actually knew I used store-bought ingredients!
You can make this recipe as budget-friendly or as fancy as you wish. I picked up some pre made tart shells from the supermarket and dressed them up with a jar of this divine Simon Johnson French Caramel Sauce along with Lindt 70% dark chocolate for the chocolate ganache and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.
However if you want to keep this recipe cheap, by all means use a can of Nestle Caramel Top N Fill for the filling and Cadbury Chocolate Melts for the topping.
- 2 packets of store bought tart shells (usually come in lots of 6)
- 1 tin of Caramel Spread (such as Bonne Maman)
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- Sea salt
- Transfer caramel spread to microwaveable container and heat on medium high for 30 seconds until runny.
- Place tart shells on a tray and pour the caramel into each shell until it comes up ⅔ of the way up.
- Place the tray in the fridge for the caramel to set, around 20 minutes.
- Heat the dark chocolate in the microwave in bursts of 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour the chocolate on top of each tart and finish off with a generous sprinkle of sea salt.
- Return the tray briefly to the fridge for the chocolate to set, and then serve!
And there you have it, a delicious cheats dessert for when you’re running low on time or energy.
Do you have a simple go-to dessert recipe you whip out when need be?