I was recently asked by Moccona Coffee to develop a recipe for them for the relaunch of their website. They wanted me to create something that involved 2 of my favourite things in life… coffee and bacon! How could I say no?!
After a weekend spent furiously recipe testing in my kitchen, I came out with the most incredible sandwich that was sweet and salty, crunchy and smooth. It was the best of both worlds and I am definitely going to be making it again. And again.
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 3 Tbsp Moccona Classic Roast Instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsps brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 100g soft cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Pinch of chill flakes
- Sourdough bread, toasted
- A big handful of rocket
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix together the Moccona coffee, maple syrup, brown sugar and water in a small bowl until combined.
- Arrange the bacon on the baking tray and brush on half of the maple and coffee mixture using a pastry brush.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then flip each slice of bacon over. Brush on the remaining maple and coffee mixture.
- Put the tray back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes until browned and crisp.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing the bacon from the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice and chill flakes. Set aside.
- Slice the sourdough toast and toast lightly.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture generously on one side of the bread, add a few slices of bacon and top with rocket and the other slice of toasted bread.
Not only is my Coffee & Maple Bacon Sandwich oh so delicious, it was photographed and styled by my ultimate dream team Luisa BrimbleStephanie Somebody. Watching them work together was an absolute pleasure and I tried to soak in as much of the experience as I could.
And the results? Well they speak for themselves. The new website is gorgeous and the photography and styling is second to none. Just look at this table chock-full of treats!
And now it wasn’t just me who contributed to their new site, I was in good company along with several other super talented food bloggers. Here’s a snippet of the recipes that were shot that day. I’ve bookmarked them all for future baking!
Don’t forget to head over to Moccona’s website to check out the rest of these delicious recipes.