Whether you call them doughnuts or donuts, my love for these oven baked treats is well known! Today on the blog I have an exceptionally decadent recipe for you featuring salted caramel doughnuts with a delightful toffee crunch topping. These babies are sweet and salty, creamy and crunchy, and basically the best way to use up any salted caramel you have stashed away in your fridge.
The inspiration for these doughnuts arrived at my front door recently, in the form of a cardboard box from Foodies Collective. Every few months they will deliver you a box filled with a curated range of premium, artisan products from awesome Australian small businesses. And this box just so happened to be themed Decadent Desserts, which you know is right up my alley!
Inside was almond buttercrunch toffee crumble by Poetry Fine Foods, chocolate coated old skool lollies by Chocamama, French style salted caramel sauce by Caramelicious, vanilla & berry marshmallows by Black Pantry, Cherry Chocolate Sauce by Latasha’s Kitchen, a Salted Caramel Fudge bar by SMALT Cold smoked salt AND a dark chocolate block Charley’s Chocolate! Phew!
I had to try very hard not to eat all these treats at once, and reserve some to create a recipe. I ended up selecting the almond buttercrunch toffee crumble and French style salted caramel sauce and set to work creating a decadent recipe to honour these ingredients.
I’ve made baked doughnuts before in my Donut Maker and mini-donut pan which I have discussed here, and this time I wanted to try out my larger pan which I purchased from Williams-Sonoma. This recipe bakes 6 big donuts, and if you are feeding a hungry crowd you can easily double the batter.
The salted caramel icing is dangerously addictive and I dare you not to lick the bowl! This spread is thicker than a normal doughnut glaze as I didn’t want to dilute the delicious French style caramel sauce too much. So after you dip the top of each doughnut, you may need to gently smooth around the spread to ensure even coverage.
- 1 cup plain flour
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp salted caramel
- 1-2 tbsp thickened cream
- Toffee crunch, or crushed up toffee candy bar of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease your donut pan with flavourless oil.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Stir in milk, butter and egg until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sandwich bag and cut a corner to make a small hole.
- Using your DIY piping bag, pipe a circle of mixture into each donut hole so that it's approx ½ full.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, add the icing sugar, caramel and 1 tablespoon of cream and stir until combined. If it's a little too thick, add in the next spoonful of cream.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the caramel mixture, decorate with crushed up toffee, and place on a cooling tray to set.
And last, but certainly not least, these doughnuts are finished off with a generous sprinkling of toffee crumble – I would honestly sprinkle this on everything dessert-related if I could! If you can’t get your hands on this product, you could try smashing up some toffee candy bars such as Butterfingers, or peanut brittle would work well too.
I hope you love these doughnuts as much as me, and don’t forget to subscribe to the Foodies Collective mailing list so you know when the next box goes on sale! It’s being released early October and I have insider info that it’s going to be pretty amazing!