Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 50g toasted coconut (I used shredded)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g butter, softened
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 x 400g tin chopped pineapple, drained
- 600g sifted icing sugar (4-5 cups)
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsps coconut essence
- Shredded coconut to decorate or 1 pineapple for pineapple flowers
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Spread the coconut onto a baking tray in an even layer. Toast until golden brown which will only take around 2 minutes (watch like a hawk!)
- In a large bowl beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk. Do not overmix!
- Add the pineapple and toasted coconut and stir to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full with mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown. This recipe makes approximately 20 cupcakes.
- Allow to cool in tin for 15 mins and then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated.
- Add in the coconut essence and continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy. Pipe onto cupcakes.
- Decorate with shredded coconut or pineapple flowers
- To make pineapple flowers, turn over down to 110°C.
- Thinly slice a pineapple (or split pineapple rings in 3 horizontally) and arrange rings on several lined baking trays.
- Bake for 30 mins, then turn and cook for another 30 mins.
- Transfer rings to a muffin tin so they form the shape of a flower.
Recipe by Love Swah at http://loveswah.com/2013/01/pineapple-and-coconut-cupcakes/