Red Velvet Surprise Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
- 120g butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cups caster sugar
- 4 tsp cocoa
- 4 tsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml buttermilk (or add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to normal milk)
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 250g cream cheese at room temperature
- 250g white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix the vanilla extract, cocoa powder and red food colouring into a paste. Add the paste to the creamed mixture.
- Add half the buttermilk and mix until combined, followed by half of the flour and baking powder. Mix until incorporated and then add the remainder of the buttermilk and flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar and continue mixing for another 5 minutes until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tin and fill approximately ¾ full. Pop a Lindt ball on top of each cupcake (they will sink as they bake).
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cupcakes slightly spring back when touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool slightly in their tin before turning out onto a wire rack
- Melt the white chocolate in short bursts on a medium heat in the microwave. Set aside and cool until lukewarm.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth in a large bowl. Add in the lukewarm white chocolate.
- Gradually add in the icing sugar until incorporated. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
Recipe by Love Swah - A Sydney food, travel and design blog at http://loveswah.com/2013/02/happy-valentines-day-red-velvet-surprise-cupcakes-with-white-chocolate-icing/