This is the last (but certainly not least) addition to my Microwave Mug Cake series – banana! First we had dark chocolate, then salted caramel, followed by S’mores. I like to refer to this mug cake as “breakfast in a cup” as it combines two of my favourite breakfast items – banana bread and coffee! But I guarantee you will want to eat this any time of day.
The banana ensures this cake is super moist and dense, and it’s literally like eating a hybrid banana bread-pudding in a mug! I was about to say it’s a healthier version than cafe-bought banana bread due to the relatively low amounts of butter/sugar/flour, but then I remembered I covered it in ice cream. Sorry.
Make sure you use a large mug, otherwise the mixture can overflow (I learned this lesson the hard way!)
As always, I love seeing readers recreate my recipes. This version from Angie looks absolutely delicious and she topped hers with some crumble for extra texture and flavour. Yum!
For more microwave mug cakes that you can whip up in minutes, check out my Mug Cake Collection which I am always adding to. It’s fair to say I am a little obsessed with single serve desserts!
- 1 tbsp butter, melted (or flavourless oil)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 scoop of coffee ice cream to serve
- Put butter into mug and microwave for 10 seconds to melt.
- Add in egg and milk and lightly beat with a fork until combined.
- Add mashed banana into the mug and continue stirring with you fork until mixed through.
- Finally, add dry ingredients into the mug and beat with your fork until combined.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
- The pudding should be risen and still slightly gooey in the middle. If still undercooked for your liking, cook it further in 10 second bursts in the microwave.
- Serve with a generous scoop of coffee ice cream.
I hope you enjoyed my Microwave Mug Cakes series! Are there any other series of baked treats you would like me to trial?