I wanted to create a dessert that echoed the beloved cookies and cream flavour combination and with this month’s Sweet Adventure’s Blog Hop being cheese-themed, I knew a cookies ‘n’ cream cheesecake was the answer.
I described this cake to someone as “a choc chip cookie and a cheesecake had a baby and the result was amazing” which basically sums up this new recipe!
- 140g butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 200g chocolate chips
- 500g cream cheese
- ¾ cup - 1 cup icing sugar (to taste)
- 200ml double cream
- 100g dark chocolate chip
- 100ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Cream the butter and sugars for at least 5 minutes until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add choc chips, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Beat on low speed until just combined (don’t overwork the mixture or it can become tough).
- Press the majority of the dough into the middle of a 23cm/9" round greased springform tin. I baked the leftover dough into 6 small cookies, for decorating or for eating ;)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Place the cream cheese and icing sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add in the double cream and keep beating until smooth and creamy.
- Pour onto the cooled biscuit base and put in the fridge to set for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Bring the cream to a simmer either over the stove top or in the microwave.
- Add the choc chips to the cream and stir until melted and glossy.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over the top of the cake.
The combination of the thick choc chip cookie crust, creamy cheesecake filling and rich chocolate ganache makes it a decadent and popular dessert with everyone I’ve served it to!