If you want to add a little sparkle to your Christmas, then these mini “Bling Donuts” may be your answer! Not only are they easy to make, you can get as creative as your mind lets you and it’s a fun thing to get the kids involved with too!
I kept the flavours of this donut fairly simple, with a vanilla donut base and a lemon cream cheese glaze tinted pink. Feel free to swap out the lemon juice for a different flavour (peppermint, strawberry and coconut essence are all available in supermarkets) and mix up the colours too.
- 70g butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pink food dye
- Sprinkles, edible glitter, cachous to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease your donut pan with flavourless oil OR turn on your donut maker (you won't need any oil if you use the latter).
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix until just combined. The mixture may look curdled but the dry ingredients will pull it together.
- Add in the baking powder and flour and stir until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a medium zip lock bag and cut the corner tip cut off. Pipe the mixture into the donut pans until each is approximately ⅔ full.
- If using a donut pan, bake in the oven for around 10 minutes until lightly golden brown. If using a mini donut maker, bake for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow donuts to cool completely before decorating.
- Stir cream cheese and icing sugar together until mixed, and then add milk slowly until you have a thick glaze. Add a drop of pink food dye and flavouring and stir until combined.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the glaze, sprinkle over decorations and place on a cooling tray to set.
I used a combination of sprinkles, cachous, mini marshmallows and edible glitter to decorate my donuts. It makes a bit of a mess, but isn’t that half the fun?!