Hi there, my name is Jess and I blog over at Sweetest Menu. I am so excited to be sharing a very special recipe today on Love Swah. I love Swah’s work and we both share a passion for delicious baking! So I am thrilled to be popping by and sharing one of my all-time favourite cakes with you all. Thanks so much for having me Swah!
I love to share American-inspired recipes and to me, it doesn’t get any more American than peanut butter and chocolate. This decadent bundt cake is divine. Are their any fellow chocolate cake lovers out there? This chocolate cake has a velvety texture and is super moist thanks to the addition of sour cream. But it doesn’t stop there. When you cut into this gorgeous cake, you will find a sweet ribbon of peanut butter cheesecake filling inside – a treat for pb lovers everywhere!
The peanut butter filling is not too sweet and creates a little of that sweet and salty action that we all know and love. It also has a lovely soft and smooth texture, which contrasts perfectly with the rich chocolate cake. While it’s baking it magically sinks to the bottom, which then turns out to be the top of your bundt cake. I don’t know about you but I love to surprise my friends and family with baked goods that have a little more than first meets the eye.
Then atop of the cake we have a river of dark chocolate ganache and a scattering of crunchy honey roasted peanuts. The ganache is the perfect accompaniment, silky and smooth with a deep chocolate flavour. It really is the ultimate dessert for peanut butter and chocolate enthusiasts. Just promise me you will enjoy a slice with a big glass of milk when your done!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake
Peanut butter filling
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (125g)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature (100g)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar (100g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature (17g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (250g)
- 1 cup caster sugar (200g)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (135g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour (245g)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (60g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water (120ml)
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature (240ml)
- 1 cup good quality dark chocolate (150g)
- 1 cup thickened or heavy cream (240ml)
- 1/3 cup honey roasted peanuts (40g)
- Grease your bundt cake tin really well with butter and sprinkle the bottom with a little cocoa powder. Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). First we need to make the peanut butter filling.
Peanut butter filling
- In a large mixing bowl add your peanut butter, cream cheese and caster sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add your vanilla, butter and egg. Beat again until combined.
- Sift in your cornflour and stir through. Pop your peanut butter mixture into the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until pale, approximately 4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Add one egg at a time and continue to beat until mixture is combined and creamy.
- Boil the kettle and pour out 1/2 cup water and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and lightly whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, along with the hot water and gently fold with a spatula.
- Add the sour cream and fold until the mixture is completely combined and smooth. It will be quite thick - this is fine.
- Grab your peanut butter mixture out of the fridge. Pour two thirds of the chocolate batter into your prepared bundt pan and the dollop the peanut butter mixture over the top, ensuring it doesn't touch the sides of the tin. Then dollop over the remaining chocolate batter and smooth the top - the peanut butter mixture should be completely covered.
- Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for about 30 minutes before very carefully removing from the tin and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Chop your dark chocolate into small pieces and transfer to a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, add your cream and pop on a medium heat.
- Once the cream is warm but not boiling, pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for 2-3 minutes. Once the time is up, gently whisk the mixture until smooth. Leave to stand for a few minutes and then pop in the fridge for 30 minutes or so to thicken slightly.
- Then pour the chocolate ganache all over your cake and sprinkle over your honey roasted peanuts.
Doesn’t this cake look like heaven?! A huge thanks to Jess for sharing this decadent recipe on Love Swah! And don’t forget to hop on over to Sweetest Menu for more American-inspired desserts.