Nothing says Christmas quite like eggnog, wouldn’t you agree? You can’t beat the taste and texture of homemade eggnog. And with just a handful of ingredients, this recipe is quick and easy to whip up, giving you more time to celebrate the silly season!
Using good quality, fresh free-range eggs is paramount in this recipe. Add in a healthy slosh of liqueur and some freshly grated nutmeg, and this smells like holiday in a glass!
Speaking of glasses, you can use whatever size you want, from simple tumblers to cocktail glasses if you want to make it look a little fancy. I won’t even judge you if you use mason jars because #hipster
Easy Christmas Eggnog
- 700 ml milk
- 240 ml thick pouring cream
- 5 free-range eggs separated
- 130 g caster sugar
- 175 ml Amaretto liqueur
- Freshly grated nutmeg to serve
- In a large bowl or using a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick.
- Add the milk, cream and liqueur, and whisk to combine.
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl or bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks.
- Whisk about 1/4 of the egg whites vigorously into the egg yolk mixture. Add the remaining egg whites and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Chill in the fridge. Whisk again lightly just before serving then pour into serving glasses.
- Grate some fresh nutmeg over the top of each glass.
This recipes calls for Amaretto liqueur, but spirits such as brandy, rum or bourbon are often used too. Add in your favourite drink of choice (or whatever is hanging around in the cupboard)!
And the result? A rich, smooth and creamy boozy drink that doubles as a dessert too! As it’s chilled, it’s the perfect way to beat a hot Australian Christmas.
This recipes uses free-range Rock Chic Eggs that can be purchased from www.rockchiceggs.com or from About Life stores in Sydney. Go free-range!