Is there anything better in life than caramel sauce? How about an entire jar of homemade salted caramel sauce? This Christmas gift is so easy to make and will make you very popular over the festive season. I guarantee it!
This recipe is so simple to make and you can double it easily to make more (but just note to extend the cooking time as it will take longer to caramelise). This recipe makes one very generous serving – in the photo I used a recycled 370g Bonne Maman jar – but if you have smaller jars, you can make 3-4 more sensible servings. But then again, it’s Christmas. Who wants to be sensible during the silly season?!
Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 120 ml water
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Dissolve the sugar into the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and let it bubble away over a medium heat.
- The mixture should turn a golden caramel colour after around 5 minutes. DON’T stir the caramel mixture – the sugar will crystallize.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired colour, take it off the heat and add the salt and cream. Stir furiously as the caramel will want to harden quickly.
- Pour the caramel cream mixture into a clean and dry jar with a secure lid.
- Once it's completely cool, tie some ribbon around and add a gift tag.
Need some suggestions for using the salted caramel sauce? Well, apart from eating it straight from the jar with a spoon (no judgement here!) you could use it in:
The options are endless! Now I am drooling and need to make more caramel sauce…
Don’t forget to check out more Christmas baking recipes here.