Sticky date pudding has to be one of my favourite desserts, ever. But due to my lack of self control, I rarely make a full batch of it, as you better believe I’ll eat the entire thing in one sitting! But fellow pudding fans, let’s rejoice, as I have mastered the single serve mug cake version of this incredible dessert.
I know how much you guys love single serve and microwave recipes – in fact 4 of my 5 most popular recipes fall into one or both of those categories! So making yet another simple yet delicious mug cake was a no brainer.
This one takes slightly longer than my other mug cakes as you need to add and cook things in stages, plus there is a sauce to make. But when I say slightly longer, I mean only 2 minutes longer. And the result? A moist, dense and buttery pudding that is topped with the just the right amount of decadent caramel sauce.
Despite being cooked in the microwave, this pudding turns out surprisingly light thanks to the bicarbonate soda. The dates melt into the batter whilst cooking and produce a lovely sweet, caramel flavour.
This mug cake is phenomenal on its own and even better with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! You could also try some whipped cream and berries as a lovely contrasting topping. It’s the perfect single serve dessert to treat yourself during winter (although let’s be honest, you can enjoy sticky date pudding anytime of year!)
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me, and don’t forget to check out my other microwave mug cake recipes if you need a quick sugar fix! My currently obsession is this banana bread mug cake which takes your favourite breakfast food and transforms into an easy to make dessert. Happy baking!
Single Serve Sticky Date Pudding Mug Cake
Sticky Date Pudding
- 10 dates chopped
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp self raising flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp milk
Sticky Date Pudding
- In a large mug place the chopped dates and water. Place in microwave for 1 minute to soften the dates.
- Take the mug out of the microwave, add in the bicarb soda and mash with a fork - it will fizz a bit.
- Add the butter to the mixture and microwave again for 10-15 sec until melted.
- Finally, add in the sugar, flour and egg yolk and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Place in the microwave for a final 1 minute. It may need a further 10 sec to finish it, depending on the strength of your microwave.
- In a small microwave-proof bowl, add in the sugar, butter and milk and place in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Remove and stir and repeat another two to three times until you end up with a dark caramel sauce.
- Drizzle over your sticky date mug cake and top with icecream if desired!
What kind of mug cake recipe would you like to see next on Love Swah?