Sticky date pudding has to be one of my favourite desserts, ever. But due to my lack of self control, I rarely make a full batch of it, as you better believe I’ll eat the entire thing in one sitting! But fellow pudding fans, let’s rejoice, as I have mastered the single serve mug cake version of this incredible dessert.
I know how much you guys love single serve and microwave recipes – in fact 4 of my 5 most popular recipes fall into one or both of those categories! So making yet another simple yet delicious mug cake was a no brainer.
This one takes slightly longer than my other mug cakes as you need to add and cook things in stages, plus there is a sauce to make. But when I say slightly longer, I mean only 2 minutes longer.
Single Serve Sticky Date Pudding Mug Cake
Sticky Date Pudding
- 10 dates chopped
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp self raising flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp milk
Sticky Date Pudding
- In a large mug place the chopped dates and water. Place in microwave for 1 minute to soften the dates.
- Take the mug out of the microwave, add in the bicarb soda and mash with a fork - it will fizz a bit.
- Add the butter to the mixture and microwave again for 10-15 sec until melted.
- Finally, add in the sugar, flour and egg yolk and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Place in the microwave for a final 1 minute. It may need a further 10 sec to finish it, depending on the strength of your microwave.
- In a small microwave-proof bowl, add in the sugar, butter and milk and place in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Remove and stir and repeat another two to three times until you end up with a dark caramel sauce.
- Drizzle over your sticky date mug cake and top with icecream if desired!
And the result? A moist, dense and buttery pudding that is topped with the just the right amount of butterscotch caramel sauce. This mug cake is phenomenal on its own and even better with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me, and don’t forget to check out my other microwave mug cake recipes if you need a quick sugar fix!
What kind of mug cake recipe would you like to see next on Love Swah?