My love for quick, easy and small batch desserts has inadvertently turned me into the single serve recipe queen! My Microwave Mug Cakes consistently rank amongst my most popular recipe, and I am super excited to bring you the easiest mug cake to date. It uses 1 cup, 2 ingredients and cooks in 3 minutes!
I was inspired by the Magic Ice Cream Bread trend that was doing the rounds last year, and made it for myself. To be honest, I was underwhelmed. The bread was quite stodgy and not particularly sweet, in reminded me of a scone but not in a good way.
But I felt like the concept was good, and made perfect sense. The self raising flour provided gluten and leavening, and the ice cream provided moisture, fat and sweetness. I played around with the ratio of flour to ice cream, and by increasing the liquid and lowering the dry ingredient, the end result was sweeter, richer and lighter.
My next test was whether this idea would translate to the microwave – the original Ice Cream Bread is poured into a loaf tin and baked for 40 minutes in the oven. I reduced the amount and experimented with mug size and cooking time. Before long I had nailed it – a delicious cake that could be cooked in a microwave in around 3 minutes!
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, melted (or flavour of your choice)
- ½ cup self raising flour
- Extra ice cream to serve
- Sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Mix the melted ice cream and flour until combined in a microwaveable mug
- Cook on medium high for 3 - 3½ minutes depending on the strength of your microwave.
- You know it's done when the mixture puffs over the top of the mug and appears set in the centre. To double check, insert a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, the mug cake is done!
- Serve with an extra scoop of ice cream and some sprinkles, if you so desire.
As much as I love fancy ice cream, I feel like the cheaper ice cream works better in this recipe – it’s sweeter and richer than the artisan brand I tried. And please by all means, try different ice cream flavours! This mug cake would be amazing with chocolate, salted caramel or even cookies and cream.