I’ve been asked a lot lately about what pregnancy cravings I’ve been getting, and apart from an increased interest in Vegemite on toast and mandarins, I haven’t had much to report. Until the other day when I suddenly got debilitating caramel slice cravings (how random!)
After trying to satisfy my sweet tooth with an overpriced store-bought piece from a cafe, I decided to make my own, but with a twist. This version features ground hazelnuts in the biscuit base which gives it a lovely nutty flavour and texture. I also stirred roasted hazelnuts through the caramel which provided a wonderful savoury crunch and offset the sweetness somewhat.
I briefly considered topping the slice with chopped nuts too but thought that may have been slightly over the top – but by all means if you’re hazelnut-obsessed, then go for it! I used hazelnuts as that’s what was in my pantry, but this would work well with pecans, almonds or macadamias. Next time I am going to try it with peanuts!
If you’re a caramel slice addict like me, once you’re done with this recipe may I suggest making my ANZAC Caramel Slice. The homemade biscuit base with the oats and coconut adds a chewy and dense foundation for the smooth and creamy caramel to sit upon.
Hazelnut Caramel Slice
- 200 g packet sweet biscuits I used Shredded Wheatmeals
- 120 g butter
- 50 g roasted hazelnuts pulverised
- 400 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 125 g butter
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 120 g roasted hazelnuts
- 250 g dark chocolate buttons
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Arrange hazelnuts on an oven tray and roast for 10 mins.
- Transfer roasted nuts to a clean tea towel and gently rub off the bitter hazelnut skins.
- Transfer 50g of the hazelnuts to the food processor (keep the rest whole for later) and blitz until they form a fine powder.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm rectangle tin with baking paper.
- Crush the biscuits in the food processor and combine with the pulverised roasted hazelnuts.
- Melt the 120g of butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the melted butter to the biscuit and hazelnut mixture and stir until combined
- Press into the tin, making sure it is even. Chill in the fridge to set whilst you make the caramel.
- Mix together the condensed milk, butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir for 15 minutes until the mixture becomes a darker golden colour and thick. Do not leave this unattended!
- Let the caramel cool slightly before pouring into the tin over your set biscuit base. Press the roasted hazelnuts into the caramel.
- Return to the fridge to set.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter in microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat (watch like a hawk so that the chocolate doesn’t burn!).
- Pour over the hazelnut caramel and allow to set in the fridge for a few hours before cutting into squares.
Are you as obsessed with caramel slice as I am? What’s your favourite spin on this classic?