Is there anything better than a rich and fudgey dark chocolate brownie? How about a salted caramel popcorn brownie?
I had some leftover brownie batter recently and wondered what to do with it. It wasn’t quite enough to fill a baking pan, so I decided to grease up a mini muffin tin and try brownie “bites”. At the last minute I added a dob of salty, crunchy peanut butter to the middle of each one and peanut butter brownie bites were born!
I finished mine off with a dusting of icing sugar, but you could drizzle melted chocolate over them (white chocolate would look good!) or perhaps some salted caramel.
- 125 g soft butter
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a mini muffin tin with butter.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave in short bursts on medium.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla.
- Sift the flour into another bowl and add the salt.
- Let the chocolate mixture cool a bit before beating in the egg and sugar mixture.
- Fill each mini muffin tin ⅔ full and add approx 1/2 tsp of peanut butter into the centre of each, gently pressing down so the batter covers it.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until done. When it’s ready the top should be dried to a pale brown but the middle still slightly gooey.
- Allow the brownie bites to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
Due to the large amounts of butter, chocolate and eggs in these brownies, these brownies are incredibly rich and heavy and often a little *too* much when eaten in a large slab like in my original recipe. But converting these to mini bite size treats with a nice contrasting salty peanut butter center, they are fast becoming my new favourites!
What’s your favourite way to modify a dessert?
Yum! Such a clever idea. I’ve been thinking about trying something like this for a while. Peanut butter filled anything is my heaven :)
You can never go wrong with a peanut butter filling! ;D