I find most store bought hot chocolate mixes are a little too sweet and artificial tasting for my liking. But it’s so easy to make your own hot chocolate powder and I’ve turned it up a notch by adding in chai spices and finely chopped dark chocolate. You can fully customise the level of sweetness and flavourings you add, plus it makes a great gift!
I always have recycled jars lying about the house that I have rinsed and stored, and they work as perfect storage and gifting devices. You can also find plenty of mason jars at two dollar stores. Just add a ribbon (or chalkboard label like I found) and voila! Your friends and family will love you!
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 50 g good quality dark chocolate chopped finely
- Milk to serve
- Sift all ingredients into a medium bowl, add in the chopped dark chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Store the hot chocolate mix in an airtight container.
- To make hot chocolate, add 1 heaped tablespoon of the mix to 250ml of milk (or non-dairy substitute) and microwave on medium high for 1-2 minutes.
- Top with an extra dusting of hot chocolate mix, or add some whipped cream for a more indulgent twist.
♥ Mexican Hot Chocolate
Replace chai mix with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 pinch of chilli or cayenne powder (to taste).
♥ Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate
Substitute milk for coconut milk and top with whipped coconut cream.
♥ Iced Chai Latte
Mix a tablespoon of hot chocolate mix with a few tablespoons of boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add mix to 250ml of chilled milk and top with ice.
♥ Boozy Chai Hot Chocolate
Stay tuned for the recipe soon!