You’ve probably seen the Nutella Star Bread making rounds on the internet. I loved the idea, but as always, feel the desire to put my own spin on things. Instead of homemade dough, I used store-bought puff pastry. Not only is this quicker (and lazier) but the layers of crunchy, buttery pastry it creates is far superior to any bread in my opinion. And as much as I love Nutella, I had been sent a few jars of Macabella, an Australian Choc Macadamia Spread.
Macabella is a macadamia nut infused chocolate spread made from a Belgian recipe. It’s available in Macabella Velvet, a silky smooth version and Macabella Crunch (my favourite) which is filled with a combination of diced and gently ground macadamias.
So I present to you.. the Chocolate and Macadamia Star Pastry! This braided bread is made from puff pastry, filled with a crunchy chocolate macadamia spread and topped with toasted macadamias.
And while the decoration side of this recipe looks like it could be tricky, there are loads of step-by-step videos on YouTube that show how easy it is to convert several sheets of puff-pastry into an edible work of art. I highly recommend you watch this video for detailed instructions on how to cut and shape your star (it starts from around the 3min 20sec mark).
- 4 sheets of store bought puff pastry thawed
- 1/2 jar of chocolate macadamia spread
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup macadamias chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spread out your 4 sheets of thawed puff pastry on the counter and using a larger dinner plate as a guide, trim each sheet into a circle with a sharp knife.
- Lay the first circle of pastry onto a sheet of baking paper and spread a generous layer of chocolate macadamia spread, leaving 1cm clear around the edge.
- Place your second sheet of pastry on top and repeat this process until you have 3 chocolatey layers.
- Place the final sheet of pastry on top and gently press down.
- Next, place a water glass in the centre of the circle. Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into quarters, leaving the centre intact. Then, divide each quarter into 4 equal parts, creating 16 equal parts or "petals".
- To braid the dough, take 2 petals and twist them in the opposite direction of each other, creating 2 ribbons of chocolate spread on each petal. Repeat this process on all 16 petals. Tuck each edge of the petals under themselves, pinching the seams.
- Carefully transfer to a baking sheet.
- Brush dough with egg white and sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts, then bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, rotate the baking tray and cover pastry with aluminium foil.
- Lower the oven temperature to to 150°C and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I decided to add some additional chopped macadamias to the centre of my star, which crisped up beautifully in the oven for some added crunch.
I hope you enjoy my spin on the classic Nutella Star Bread as much as I enjoyed eating it. The flaky layers of pastry combined withe creamy and crunchy Macabella spread make this an indulgent dessert indeed!