Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are all having a lovely day with family or friends and eating FAR too much.
I made these festive ginger cupcakes for visiting relatives and they were a huge hit! Feel free to add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the cream cheese icing for an extra flavour hit.
- 340 g butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Cream Cheese Icing
- 250 g cream cheese room temperature
- 120 g butter room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Beat in golden syrup, vanilla extract and eggs, 1 at a time.
- Sift flour with spices and add to wet mixture. Mix until just combined (over mixing can result in tougher cupcakes).
- Fill cupcake wrappers 3/4 full and bake in the oven for around 20-25 mins or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Cream cheese icing
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.