Cold winter mornings equals porridge in my books – it’s like a big warm hug. I’ve been making this coconut, berry and chia porridge religiously for the past 2 months and I’m still not sick of it!
Using coconut milk instead of cow’s milk not only gives it a great coconutty flavour, but means it’s dairy-free and suitable for vegans. You can also easily substitute the oats for quinoa flakes to make it gluten-free too!
I generally make a batch of this on Sunday night and take it to work in a Tupperware container, portioning it out and reheating it each morning. Sometimes I’ll top it with some frozen berries or grated apple for a bit of extra sweetness.
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 1 400 ml can coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Shredded coconut optional
- Combine the oats, coconut milk, water and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until soft, thick creamy.
- Add in frozen berries and chia seeds and stir for another minute until warmed through.
- Top with more berries and coconut to serve, or try some grated apple on top if you like it a bit sweeter.
What’s your favourite thing to eat in winter?
I’m so glad you shared this – will be making a batch real soon!
I hope you love it Tara! So tasty but nutritious x
This looks divine! I love coconut in anything (I just opened up a carton of coconut milk tonight to put in hot chocolate). This looks healthy but delicious :D
Thanks Lorraine! I also love putting coconut in *everything* lately, it’s so delicious! :)