Is there anything better in life than caramel sauce? How about an entire jar of homemade salted caramel sauce? This Christmas gift is so easy to make and will make you very popular over the festive season. I guarantee it!
This recipe is so simple to make and you can double it easily to make more (but just note to extend the cooking time as it will take longer to caramelise). This recipe makes one very generous serving – in the photo I used a recycled 370g Bonne Maman jar – but if you have smaller jars, you can make 3-4 more sensible servings. But then again, it’s Christmas. Who wants to be sensible during the silly season?!
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 120 ml water
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Dissolve the sugar into the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and let it bubble away over a medium heat.
- The mixture should turn a golden caramel colour after around 5 minutes. DON’T stir the caramel mixture – the sugar will crystallize.
- Once the caramel has reached the desired colour, take it off the heat and add the salt and cream. Stir furiously as the caramel will want to harden quickly.
- Pour the caramel cream mixture into a clean and dry jar with a secure lid.
- Once it's completely cool, tie some ribbon around and add a gift tag.
Need some suggestions for using the salted caramel sauce? Well, apart from eating it straight from the jar with a spoon (no judgement here!) you could use it in:
1. Triple Salted Caramel Cupcakes
2. Salted Caramel Popcorn Brownies
3. Mini Salted Caramel Tarts
4. Salted Caramel Microwave Mug Cake
5. Salted Caramel and Tim Tam Cheesecake
6. Banana Caramel Pancakes
The options are endless! Now I am drooling and need to make more caramel sauce…
Don’t forget to check out more Christmas baking recipes here.
Oh yumm Swah! This would be perfect with any dessert! Or I would eat it just as it is ;) I have pinned this for later. Thank you for sharing & inspiring – came across your recipe at Bake Play Smile linkup party. Lovely meeting you – Merry Christmas & all the best for 2016 :)
Thanks so much and I am glad you enjoyed the recipe! Have a wonderful Christmas xx
If I found this under my Christmas Tree I would be a very happy lady! Thanks for linking up with us for Fabulous Foodie Fridays, Merry Christmas!
Not going to lie, I wish I made extras so I could put one under the tree for me too! Thanks Lauren!
OMG get in my belly!!!!! This looks perfect (and your photos are stunning – as always!!). Have a beautiful Christmas! xxx
Thank you for the kind words Lucy, I hope you have a magnificent Christmas! xx
[…] case you missed it, don’t forget to check out my Christmas Spiced Hot Chocolate Mix and my Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce. Happy […]