Donuts! Who doesn’t love donuts! I thought I’d try and make a “healthier” version by baking them in the oven instead of deep frying these little beauties, however my decision to coat them in a decadent dark chocolate ganache probably negated that.
I won’t lie, I had to test this recipe 3 times before I got it right. I tried a yeast-based baked donut, which just tasted like dry bread. I then tried a cake version (ie leavened with baking powder), however I didn’t have a proper donut pan so it swelled into one uber donut.
A friend heard of my donut woes and kindly donated me her mini-donut pan (you can buy one here).
I tried the cake version of the donuts again using the donut pan and they came out perfectly, just make sure you grease the pan well as they can stick.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 50 g butter melted
- 1 egg
Dark Chocolate ganache
- 100 g Dark Chocolate finely chopped
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease your donut pan with flavourless oil.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Stir in milk, butter and egg until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a sandwich bag and cut a corner to make a small hole.
- Using your DIY piping bag, pipe a circle of mixture into each donut hole so that it's approx 1/2 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Dark Chocolate ganache
- Heat cream up into the microwave until warm (not boiling) and then add finely chopped chocolate, stirring until melted and combined.
- Dip the top of the donuts into the chocolate mixture, decorate with sprinkles, and place on a cooling tray to set.
What’s your favourite donut topping? I’m thinking of trying a fresh strawberry glaze next time!
The cutest! So because they’re little does that mean you can have more? Sounds perfectly legit…
I think that’s very sound logic Tara! x
[…] https://loveswah.com/2014/09/mini-baked-donuts-with-dark-chocolate-ganache/ […]
[…] For Sweetness | Mini Donuts | Love Swah […]
Oh I LOVE making baked donuts at home – these are absolutely darling! Your pics are gorgeous!
Thanks Jess! These are both cute AND tasty :)
Yum and I think baking it definitely should ease a little guilt. I think my favorite in chocolate ganache/icing on top
You can’t go wrong with chocolate ganache :D
[…] we were kids, our Saturday morning treat was a freshly baked pink iced donut from our local bakery – I can’t wait to try these beauties from Love […]