Happy World Nutella Day everyone! Every year on 5 February, Nutella fans around the world celebrate this delicious chocolate hazelnut spread, sharing recipes, photos and more. Hosted by Bleeding Espresso and Ms Adventures in Italy, it’s a fun way to think up new Nutella based recipes and basically just a good excuse to eat more Nutella (than usual).
I wanted to create a delicious and decadent Nutella cheesecake after being requested to bake something “chocolate or cheesecake” for a dinner party. Why not combine both together? I stumbled upon this super easy Nutella Cheesecake recipe from Chocolatesuze a while back and decided to combine it with a hazelnut crunch base, dark chocolate ganache and cover in toasted hazelnuts.
- 250 g packet of sweet biscuits crushed (I used butternut snap biscuits)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp roasted hazelnuts chopped
- 120 g butter melted
- 500 g cream cheese room temperature
- 100 g icing sugar
- ½ cup double cream
- 400 g of Nutella
- 115 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup double cream
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Arrange hazelnuts on an oven tray and roast for 10 mins.
- Transfer roasted nuts to a clean tea towel and gently rub off the bitter hazelnut skins.
- Chop hazelnuts as finely as possible, putting 4 tbsp aside for the base and the remaining nuts for the topping.
- In a food processor, finely crush the biscuits. Add coconut and hazelnuts.
- Add in melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Press the biscuit mixture into a 23cm/9″ round spring form cake tin and put in the fridge to set.
- Place the cream cheese and icing sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add in the Nutella and double cream, beating until smooth and creamy.
- Pour onto the biscuit base and return to the fridge to set.
Ganache and topping
- Bring the cream and butter to boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until smooth and glossy.
- Pour the ganache over the Nutella cheesecake and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over the top.
- Return the cheesecake to the fridge and let set preferably overnight.
- To serve, release the cheesecake from it's springform pan and serve on a cake stand.