I’ve been making a conscious effort lately to be a little more ethical in my day-to-day life. I think if everyone incorporated small changes into their lives it would help negate the devastating effects of climate change (or at least slow it down a bit!) I’ve been trying to cut down on my meat consumption, refuse plastic bags at the checkout by always bringing a reusable one with me, and buying less fast fashion.
I have also been enjoying the “Imperfect Picks” section of Harris Farm, my local supermarket, and not only do I save up to 50% off great seasonal produce, I am saving these ugly fruits and vegetables ending up in the bin. (Oh and as a side note, this is not a sponsored post, I just love Harris Farm!)
So what’s a great way to use up imperfect vegetables? A soup of course! All vegetables become equal once chopped, roasted and blended and this soup is the perfect Winter Warmer. In fact it’s now Spring here in Sydney but I still making it regularly, it’s that tasty!
You can use a mix of any root vegetables you like, and my favourite combo has to be pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot. The orange colour is intense and heightened by the addition of turmeric.
This soup is finished off with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a scattering of toasted pumpkin seeds, and I love eating it with a slice of sourdough toast. It’s comforting, filling, healthy and hearty! And better yet, the soup is vegan/dairy-free/gluten-free which means everyone can enjoy it! It can also be easily adjusted to the Low FODMAP diet by omitting the garlic and using a drizzle of garlic oil instead.
- 2 kg combo of pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- Coconut yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Peel your vegetables and chop into small cubes. Arrange on the baking trays along with the (unpeeled) garlic cloves and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast the vegetables for 30 minutes until the edges are browned.
- Once the vegetables have roasted, add them to a large pot along with the stock, water and turmeric. Remove the garlic from their skin and squeeze it into the pot too.
- Simmer the soup mixture and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, then blitz with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut yoghurt.
I hope you love this soup as much as me, I just made a double batch and froze it in portions to reheat for some easy weeknight dinners!
It looks amazing! Great color! Yum
Best colour isn’t it!!
[…] Get the recipe from Love Swah. […]
Best pumpkin soup ever ! Thank you ! Coconut yogurt ….I never knew! Thanks 😊
You are so welcome – enjoy!